Windows 7 command prompt missing in accessories folder

vaisforlovers

I used to have command prompt in my accessories folder but it is now missing. I need to run it in Administrator mode. I get the prompt when I use the Run option but I don't know how to get to the administrator mode.
Any help is appreciater./
Joanne

cmd sits in the system32 folder ( C:\Windows\System32). You can make a shortcut from there. Then right click on that shortcut > Properties > Advanced > check the little box 'always run as admin' > OK > Apply. Now it will always run in admin mode.

I have tried to run command prompt in administrator mode from run commands.
You can try "cmd\adm" in run box, but I have noticed several features being denied as if it is running non-adm mode. eg, you cannot gain access bcdedit.exe from cmd\adm command

I couldn't find the file in Windows system 32. sorry now what do I do? thanks
Joanne

cmd sits in the system32 folder ( C:\Windows\System32). You can make a shortcut from there. Then right click on that shortcut > Properties > Advanced > check the little box 'always run as admin' > OK > Apply. Now it will always run in admin mode.

If there is no cmd.exe in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, something must have deleted it.

There should also be one in:

C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-commandprompt_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_e932cc2c30fc13b0

which you could try to copy to the system32 folder.

Or get a copy from another computer..

Joanne, I think Saltgrass covered it. I wonder how you could have deleted it. If you cannot find a copy, tell us whether you have a 32bit or 64bit system and one of us can upload a copy for you. It is not big. Only 340KB.

Yeah! I found the cmd in my System 32 folder. I don't know exactly what I did but I followed each poster's reply and somewhere in there was the solution.
Thanks so much for all ya'lls help. What a terrific forum you are:p
Joanne

You can just add a shortcut to it in Windows Accessories.
  • Go to C:\Windows\System32 and locate cmd.exe and right click it and create shortcut
  • Copy the shortcut to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

Back