Windows 7 Computer booting issues?

Willisme1

Hey,

I bought a broken second hand laptop for parts to fix my computer, and once I had finished switching the parts, I thought I would try and boot the broken computer. To my surprise it booted flawlessly into my older windows 64bit hard drive.

However, despite brilliant performance, when it is turned off, you cannot turn in back on immediately. If you try to so so then the power fails before even reaching the splash screen for HP. By waiting a mere 30 seconds, it boots perfectly again.

I waited ten minutes and booted into the BIOS and the reset the settings, and did a memory test which were both successful and fine. And then to my surprise the power failed again.

It appears the power fails anywhere before windows has booted if not left for long enough between boots.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the long winded thread - just thought I would be precise :)

Specifications: AMD Turion X2 2.2Ghz RM-74
ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4530
Motherboard is the Quanta 3060 assuming it is the same as my other laptop.
Harddrive is 80gb 5400rpm.
1Gb DDR2 Ram (Hynix.)

These are only rough specifications since I don't know the laptop too well.

Thanks, Will.

Last edited:
Hey, Please tell me if I have posted in the wrong section of the forums.

I bought a second hand computer to fix my computer using some parts, and once I was done I thought I would try and turn it on. To my surprise it booted flawlessly into my older windows 64bit hard drive. The computer is much faster than mine despite the two looking identical (the processor has slightly better specs).

However, despite the brilliant performance, when it is turned off, you cannot turn in back on immediately. If you try to so so then the power fails before even reaching the splash screen for HP. By waiting a mere 30 seconds, it boots perfectly again.

I waited ten minutes and booted into the BIOS and the reset the settings, and did a memory test which were both successful and fine. And then to my surprise the power failed again.

It appears the power fails anywhere before windows has booted if not left for long enough between boots.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the long winded thread - just thought I would be precise :)

Specifications: AMD Turion X2 2.2ghz (I can find the exact 4 digit code if you need it)
ATi Mobility Radeon 4530 HD
Motherboard is the Quanta 3060 assuming it is the same as my other laptop.
Harddrive is 80gb 5400rpm.
Only 1Gb Ram (Hyperonix?) DDR2 stick

These are only rough specifications since I don't know the laptop too well.

Thanks, Will.
You did mention the fact that it was a laptop but not much as to how or what parts you used to get where you are now in relation to the overall hardware configuration. Depending on what you changed or swapped out you may need to acquire the appropriate drivers for any hardware changes;
If you swapped out the mainboard then perhaps you might look into acquiring a current driver for the chipset and possibly a bios update.
Additionally any other hardware like video, audio, LAN (wired and wireless)
As well as any software utilities that might have anything to do with power management for the laptop.
Regards
Randy

The hardware is exactly as I received it, and I can't be sure whether it is correct. The computer boots fine sometimes so I don't think it can be drivers, and its a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit. I suspected the CMOS battery was dying.

Last edited:
Back