Windows 7 Computer fails to boot into windows after sp1 installation

Matt26

i've had some issues installing sp1 (7 ultimate, latest windows updates) via windows update when the installation fails on a few different error codes, but i have gotten it to install a few times.

each time the installation finishes, i restart the computer when prompted and it goes through the update process when shutting down, then after the windows 7 splash screen ("starting windows") passes, the screen goes blank (black screen, no video- monitor displays "going to sleep" message) and the HDD light on the computer is lit solid.

i've left the computer sitting for hours with no change- i eventually get Windows to boot again by using the install disc to do a Windows restore, but i haven't been able to get past this yet.

does anyone know what might be causing this?

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Since you did not state an error code, you might check this Microsoft site. This is specific for one error code only, so see if you have it.

I have not tried this process....

Last edited:
If you have a USB keyboard or mouse replace it with a PS2 keyboard or mouse. I have clients where USB devices are causing boot problems with Win 7 SP1.

Back