Windows Vista Computer reboots at "press any key to boot from cd" prompt on install

rlb9682

Hello,

I have an odd problem where I have downloaded the Win7RC, burned the .iso image to a dvd, multiple times with 4 different programs, and every time I have the same result when attempting to install. When I start my pc, select boot from cd drive, I get to the prompt "press any key to boot from cd" and then my pc reboots as soon as the dvd/cd drive starts to spin up. This happens with both the 32 and 64 versions.

This did not happen when I installed the Win7beta on the same pc and I'm at a loss as to why it's happening now. I want to install the RC on a new SSD but can't get past this point. The same thing happens with or without the SSD connected. All of my drivers and bios are up to date to the latest releases.

My pc specs:
Corsair 750W PSU
EVGA X58SLI
I7 920cpu
6GB G.skill 12800 RAM
ATI 4870 512 gpu
LG CD/DVD writer combo drive
Samsung F1 750GB HD
G.Skill Falcon 128GB SSD

Last edited:
Hello,

I have an odd problem where I have downloaded the Win7RC, burned the .iso image to a dvd, multiple times with 4 different programs, and every time I have the same result when attempting to install. When I start my pc, select boot from cd drive, I get to the prompt "press any key to boot from cd" and then my pc reboots as soon as the dvd/cd drive starts to spin up. This happens with both the 32 and 64 versions.

This did not happen when I installed the Win7beta on the same pc and I'm at a loss as to why it's happening now. I want to install the RC on a new SSD but can't get past this point. The same thing happens with or without the SSD connected. All of my drivers and bios are up to date to the latest releases.

My pc specs:
Corsair 750W PSU
EVGA X58SLI
I7 920cpu
6GB G.skill 12800 RAM
ATI 4870 512 gpu
LG CD/DVD writer combo drive
Samsung F1 750GB HD
G.Skill Falcon 128GB SSD

Two things to check and see:

1. Do you see your LG CD/DVD writer combo drive listed in Device Manager= >DVD/CD-ROM drives ?
  2. If answer to the above question is in the affirmative (yes) , can this drive read any CD and DVD with any data , voice or video?
I will await your answer.

Two things to check and see:

1. Do you see your LG CD/DVD writer combo drive listed in Device Manager= >DVD/CD-ROM drives ?
  2. If answer to the above question is in the affirmative (yes) , can this drive read any CD and DVD with any data , voice or video?
1.Yes, I can see the LG cd/dvd writer combo drive listed in Device Manager
2. Yes, it can read any other CD or DVD that I put in there, data, audio, or video.

This is the exact same setup I had when I installed the Win7 beta on this machine on a separate partition on the Samsung HD in January of this year. I burned that DVD with this same CD/DVD Writer combo but now it reboots even when inserting the Win7beta disc in there too.

The only other thing I have changed on the system was a bios update a few weeks ago to the latest one. Is it possible the new bios is causing this problem since all of the Hardware and software are the same (except the SSD and this happens with or without the SSD connected).

1.Yes, I can see the LG cd/dvd writer combo drive listed in Device Manager
2. Yes, it can read any other CD or DVD that I put in there, data, audio, or video.

This is the exact same setup I had when I installed the Win7 beta on this machine on a separate partition on the Samsung HD in January of this year. I burned that DVD with this same CD/DVD Writer combo but now it reboots even when inserting the Win7beta disc in there too.

The only other thing I have changed on the system was a bios update a few weeks ago to the latest one. Is it possible the new bios is causing this problem since all of the Hardware and software are the same (except the SSD and this happens with or without the SSD connected).
Great. Your DVD Combo drive is OK
Your USB KBD is the issue.
Try the following:

• Reboot >Del > BIOS Setup
  • Integrated Peripheral Menu=> USB Device settings>
  • Click each item and Select Enable from the options
  • Press F10 and Save >Exit >Reboot with your OS DVD in the Drive
  • When prompted to "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" , press a key
After BIOS update you might have skipped one step :

reloading the BIOS optimized defaults after BIOS has been flashed. This important step resets everything after the flash.
Good luck

Last edited:
Well, that's encouraging to hear. I am not at home right now, so I will have to check that tonight. I thought all of the USB options were enable in the bios, but I can not say that for sure. I will definitely check that first thing when I get home tonight. Thank you for your assistance, this was driving me crazy all day yesterday.

You could also have a corrupt . Try and run setup direct from the DVD, when using your existing OS, instead of trying to boot from it.

Well, that's encouraging to hear. I am not at home right now, so I will have to check that tonight. I thought all of the USB options were enable in the bios, but I can not say that for sure. I will definitely check that first thing when I get home tonight. Thank you for your assistance, this was driving me crazy all day yesterday.
I added additinal comment to original post. But for clarity, I am posting it again here:

After BIOS update you might have skipped one step i.e. reloading the BIOS optimized defaults after BIOS has been flashed. This important step resets everything after the flash.
Good luck

???

I checked upon start-up and sure enough, all USB devices are enabled in the bios. Just to be sure, I reset to factory defaults, hit F10 to save and exited. I then restarted, chose the CD/DVD drive to boot from, after inserting my Win764 .iso disk, and experienced the same results...at the "press any key to boot from CD" message the system rebooted.:mad:

I have no idea why it is doing this.

davehc: I can not run a direct setup from my DVD with the 64 version as my WinXP is a 32. However, if I use the 32 version, it begins the install just fine. The problem is that I want to install the 64 version on my SSD.

Last edited:
I checked upon start-up and sure enough, all USB devices are enabled in the bios. Just to be sure, I reset to factory defaults, hit F10 to save and exited. I then restarted, chose the CD/DVD drive to boot from, after inserting my Win764 .iso disk, and experienced the same results...at the "press any key to boot from CD" message the system rebooted.:mad:

I have no idea why it is doing this.

davehc: I can not run a direct setup from my DVD with the 64 version as my WinXP is a 32. However, if I use the 32 version, it begins the install just fine. The problem is that I want to install the 64 version on my SSD.
Can you for this troubleshoot try a PS/2 Keyboard instead of USB?

I am not sure what you mean by this.
If you have PS/2 keyboard instead of the current USB Keyboard, you can connect that and boot the PC and see if the DVD will be read instead of 'ignored" as is happening at present when you press a key ( at present using USB keyboard)after you see monitor screen display of "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD". Did you understand what I meant? If you did not I can upload an image of PS/2 connector of a Keyboard to illustrate.
I willl wait for ur reply.

Thank you for the explanation. I do not have a ps/2 keyboard, but I do have one of the adaptors for my usb keyboard which should work. Thanks again, I'll let you know what I discover.

Well,

The good news is that I can get the CD/DVD drive to boot my winxp disc now, and I was able to update the bios via usb, but I still can not boot Win7 from USB or my CD/DVD drive.

The last think I did last night was reset default values-again-in the bios, hit f10 to save, exited, and turned it off for the night. At least I know it seems to be a problem with Win7RC. and my pc now. Though why I never had this problem with the Win7beta when it first came out, I have no idea.

Last edited:
An update: As I mentioned, I reset the bios to defaults again, hit f10 to save and exited. I tried installing again yesterday, and have gotten beyond the problem I had with the system restarting when booting from the CD drive.

The problem I ran into now is-Win7 loads to the install screen and I get a message about it not being able to find a driver for my cd/dvd drive, and it asks me to install one. It's an LG drive and never came with one, there's not one on LG's site (a driver that is) and Win 7 won't install without this driver? I've never heard of anything like this before.

Well, I discovered the problem and the fix. It turns out my DVD writer was slowly dying and having lots of read errors. It finally died a couple of days after my last post. In the interim, I replaced the drive, attempted to reinstall again and had no problems at all. I'm now running Win 7 64bit and even better, it installed in about 10 minutes on my solid state drive. Thanks again for the help everybody.

Back