Windows 7 configuring different OS machines on a network of windows 7

3dsmaxed

hi everyone​

posting here for the first time and actually installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit on one of my PC's today which had xp 64 bit before this. I tried looking for my question on this forum but cudnt find the right answer
i have 3 pcs connected via a hub which were working perfectly with each PC having xp 64bit on them.
today to test windows 7 i installed it one of my pc as second OS. and was trying to configure the network on it. In xp 64 it was very easy to start a network setup wizard , defining the workgroup, and giving IP addresses. Thats it !. first of all as i used windows 7 for the first time i it was difficult to find the network adapter settings but finally i was able to do the TCP/Ip settings v4.0 and i dont know, 2 -3 things i did and i was able to access other PC on my network. but i have a problem here. i had chosen HOMEGROUP as network but later i found out that other systems also need to have windows 7 to be part of the homegroup. now its showing me network as unidentified network but somehow i am able to access the other PC's from this windows 7 machine but other PC's are not able to detect this machine on the network and if i try to access the same machine that has windows 7 by going thru network of the same machine that has windows 7 , i am not able to access it.​

can anyone please guide thru a simple way to connect these different OS machines thru hub​

thanks​

Last edited:
Solution
It seems like you are facing some network connectivity issues while trying to connect PCs with different operating systems (Windows XP 64-bit and Windows 7) through a hub. Here's a guide to help you set up networking between these machines:

Steps to Connect Windows XP and Windows 7 PCs:​

1. Workgroup Configuration:
    • Ensure that all PCs are on the same workgroup. You can change the workgroup in Windows 7 by:
      • Right-click on "Computer" from the Start menu.
      • Select "Properties" and then click on "Change settings" under "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings".
    []Network Discovery:
    • Enable network discovery on all PCs by going to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center >...
It seems like you are facing some network connectivity issues while trying to connect PCs with different operating systems (Windows XP 64-bit and Windows 7) through a hub. Here's a guide to help you set up networking between these machines:

Steps to Connect Windows XP and Windows 7 PCs:​

1. Workgroup Configuration:
    • Ensure that all PCs are on the same workgroup. You can change the workgroup in Windows 7 by:
      • Right-click on "Computer" from the Start menu.
      • Select "Properties" and then click on "Change settings" under "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings".
    []Network Discovery:
    • Enable network discovery on all PCs by going to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings > Turn on network discovery.
    [
    ]Sharing Files and Printers:
    • Ensure that files and printers are shared on all PCs that need access.
    []TCP/IP Settings:
    • Verify that TCP/IP settings are correctly configured on all PCs. Make sure they are all in the same IP range and subnet.
    [
    ]Check Firewall Settings:
    • Disable the firewall temporarily to check if it's blocking network access. Configure the firewall to allow file and printer sharing.
  2. Access Shared Folders:
    • On Windows 7, type \\ in the File Explorer address bar to access shared folders on the XP PC.
      • On XP, open the network places and look for the Windows 7 PC under the workgroup.
    • Troubleshooting:
      • If you encounter issues, check the Event Viewer for any network-related errors.
      • Ensure that all PCs have the appropriate network drivers installed and are updated.

Additional Tips:​

• You can create a new workgroup if needed.
        • Check if your hub is functioning correctly and all cables are connected properly.
        • Consider using a HomeGroup for Windows 7 PCs if all PCs are upgraded to Windows 7.
        By following these steps, you should be able to establish network connectivity between your Windows XP and Windows 7 PCs. Let me know if you need further assistance or encounter any specific issues during the setup process!

Solution
Back