Windows 8 Conflicting Storage Info

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Microsoft MVP
Capture.PNG
I've got an Asus T200 with a 32gb eMMC, 64GB sd card and a 500 GB hdd. My problem lies basically with the eMMC storage for which Windows seems to have conflicting data. The storage comes with approx 21GB assigned to drive C and 8GB assigned to a recovery partition.

Computer Management and File Explorer seem to agree on drive C having a total size 20.8 GB with 10.4GB free as shown on the attached graphic. But when the properties of the entire contents of drive C are displayed in File Explorer it shows 17.8GB of data occupying 13.8GB of disk space! (compressed?). These two figures are mutually incompatible as the second must be at least as large as the first and typically larger. The are are both also incompatible with the total size and free space indicated both by Computer Management and File Explorer.

In different windows File Explorer is stating that the total size of the C drive is 20.8GB storing 17.8GB of data in 13.8GB of disk space leaving 10.4GB free!? What am I missing?

Now up to 320 views - and no response - but I've just come across this which explains it all:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn594399.aspx

For what it's worth, a few comments - I've not come across it before and although a very clever and effective construct I have found it seriously limiting and makes it very difficult to plan storage space availability and needs. Deleting the recovery partition and re-assigning it does little to help as the resulting reinstalled system loses the benefit of the compression and the benefit of 8GB gained on an uncompressed drive of 32GB is completely eliminated by the loss of the space preserved by the compressed WIM image. For someone who just uses the t200 as a low priced hybrid laptop/tablet it's an excellent budget machine but developing C# applications I need to have more control over my environment so have indulged meself in a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. The DB! Just preparing an Asus Transformer T200 for offer on Fleabay!

Back
Top Bottom