Windows 7 "Connect to a Network" does not show a list of networks

mrubillo

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and it has run well for 1.5 years. A day ago however my wireless network icon disappeared from my system tray. You can see what my problem is here on YouTube: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
What type/brand of wireless router are you using to make your connection? Usally with a branded wireless router, you can reset the router for most basic network problems by unplugging the the unit from the AC power outlet and waiting for 30 seconds before plugging in back in. Next would be to reset your network adapter from the windows "troubleshoot problems" utility in the network and sharing center. If it's a connection using a usb modem from Verizon and the likes, that's a little out of my limited networking knowledge area but that could be why you have and issue there if that's your type of wireless connection.

bassfisher6522 thank you for your guidance. After spending some time debugging this I have narrowed the problem down to Windows. It is a Windows problem. I have three computers and the wireless networks work on the other two. One is running Windows XP the other is running Linux. I have also connect to another router. I also know my wireless route is working. I can get it to connect if i manually setup a connection. I just can't get a list of wireless networks in my area. This is going to make it difficult to connect to a network if I travel anywhere. I have reached out to Microsoft and Dell. Thanks again for your help.

To verify, I turned on my laptop (Samsung RV511) with built in N wireless, and checked it out. Clicking on that tab in the network sharing center opened up the same tab as clicking on the wireless icon in the notification tray.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I understand that all to well...have you checked to make sure you have all your MS updates. Have you scanned you system for any virus's and malware? There are known incidents of such issues. Have you checked for the latest drivers for your system....ie chipset, lan drivers from your pc's website.

Last edited:
Exactly. That is the screen I am trying to get to. I applied all my MS updates yesterday, I have Norton running and did a full system scan yesterday, I also tried the driver updates. All were successful.

I have uncovered a new symptom. In Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections my wireless card appears as if it is disabled even though I am currently connect to a wireless network.

Try disabling Norton and reboot with Norton off and see what happens. Just a hunch.

Updating the drivers, did you use MS to do that or go to each vendors site to dl them....the recommended way. MS has been know to down load old and out dated drivers. That's why it's always best to go to the vendors site directly.

Are there any issues in device manager....yellow triangles with exclamation points in it.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
It would appear, form your video, that your Dell (software) Wireless Connection Utility has taken over from and probably disabled the Windows (WLAN AutoConfig) Utility.
It would seem that the Dell Utility is identifying other Wireless Networks in your area satisfactorily and you shouldn't have any issues finding and connecting to available networks using this utility when traveling.
If you want to use the WLAN AutoConfig feature in Windows instead, you will likely need to disable the Dell Utility and enable the Windows utility.
Click the start orb and type
services.msc
and hit enter
I am not sure if the Dell Wireless Utility is produced as a result of a service that is running but try looking for it in the Services Console if it is there, double click it and set the startup type to disable and stop it. If it is not the product of a service then you may have to find the software package (not the drivers) that is evoking it and uninstall that.
Scroll down to WLAN AutoConfig, double click it and set the startup type to Automatic and start it by click the start button.
Personally if the Dell Wireless Utility is working reliably and dependably as it seems to be, I wouldn't worry about it and just continue using it.
Regards
Randy

Back