Windows 7 Constant Blue Screen of Death

JonDavidShaw

Ok, so i have made a post on here before, but i want to restart this.

I get random BSOD, and have read many forums on what to do if i get one, and what not to do, power management, memory management, so on and so forth.

I have the program blue screen viewer, but i wanna start fresh.

Will someone please guide me through some steps on what to do and where i should start.

Backup, if you can, and do a clean/custom install.

I recommend you get a new hard drive, install it, unplug the one you have now, do a clean install, after everything is set up and running smooth, check your logs for any small problems that may need to be fixed then slowly move over your personal stuff from your old hard drive. When you have copied everything you want , format it and use Acronis True Image to clone your working drive. You'll have a bootable backup if your system screws up or your new hard drive has problems. You should never be down over 2 minutes. You won't have to try to restore a backup or reinstall windows again and set up everything and get reactivated.

About once a month you can re clone your system and bring your backup drive up to date with any new software and personal files you have added. True image takes only about 15 minutes to clone a drive.

He doesn't needd to buy a new hard drive.

Jon,Serach the C: drive for a file that ends with.dmp extension and upload that file here.

Jon,Serach the C: drive for a file that ends with.dmp extension and upload that file here.

No, I was just saying what I would do. I sensed that he wouldn't be able to get his data off the drive before he did a clean install. If he leaves the data on it, runs it as a secondary drive, his data can be recovered. If he does a clean install, to the drive all bets are off... for everything not backed up.

I will do this as soon as i get my replacement video card. While gaming it would black screen or crash to the desktop and i called PNY and they said send it to them and they would give me a replacement. Would that be a cause for blue screens or no? But as soon as i get my Video Card back ill upload it. I dont have onboard video, so i have to have my card.

Actually,, it could be.

There are many things that can cause BSOD's that you would not normally think should cause them.
The largest majority (99.9%) are not specifically caused by Windows. They are, in no specific order....

Software installs gone bad
Software updates gone bad (not windows updates, but that is on the list [rare, but happens], usually due to bad install, however,, driver updates from Windows Updates? well, everyone should avoid those. just trust me on that. )
Bad Hardware (ie; Power Supply, Video Card, Ram, Hard Drivers, failing fans, bad motherboard, that list goes on and on)
Improper Windows Shutdown
Black Outs, Brown Outs, Power Surges
Corrupted OS due to any of the above, among other things.

So, in short, just about anything can cause BSOD's with completely unrelated error messages. It is not always easy to trouble shoot a BSOD on it's surface.

However, in general, BSOD's are software/OS related far more often than hardware related.

With that said,,,, given the info of needing to replace the Video card due to crashes etc.
I would wait till replacing that, uninstalling and reinstalling the video card drivers, before troubleshooting this issue further.

Last edited:
So i reinstalled Windows on my 2nd 500GB WD and everything works perfect. Thank you very much for all the help!

Now use acronis true image and make a clone on the other drive and if anything goes wrong with either the drive or the os you can be up and running where you left off in less than 90 seconds.

Back