Windows 7 Constant Blue-Screens on Death (Windows 7)

jamiez

Hey all,

I'm going off my head here, my PC over the past few months is giving me a headache and i am out of ideas on what i could possibly do next.

I brought a computer about 2 years ago, just a basic one with Windows Vista on it. The PC originally came wit 1gb of RAM. About a year ago i upgraded the RAM to 3gb by purchasing an additional 2gb stick. About 5 months ago i upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate and lastly about 4 months ago my cousin gave me his old NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS card, to do some basic gaming. Everything was running fine until about 2 months ago when dad told me a blue screen showing errors had popped up and he didn't know what it meant, i told him to just reboot and go back to what he was doing. Ever since im getting constant blue screens, they all show different errors, it would be way to many to list down. I know one of them was MEMORY_MANAGEMENT but thats all i can remember off the top of my head. I have tried all most everything possible but its driving me insane. I have reinstalled windows 7, took the RAM out and cleaned it, took the PC apart and de-dusted it, installed the latest windows updates, cleaned my registry, updated the video card drivers. and now im just flat out of ideas.

Below you will find attached the dumps or w/e they are called, that the blue-screen of death is logging and my current PC specs.

Any way i better submit this, incase my PC bluescreens and i lose everything i have typed.

PLEASEEEE help, its driving me crazy!

-PC SPECS-
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
System Model: GQ566AA-ABG SR5240AN
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1282MB used, 4856MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

-DISPLAY SPECS-
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8400 GS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_06E4&SUBSYS_82781043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1776 MB
Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
Shared Memory: 1279 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Compaq WF1907 Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: Compaq WF1907
Monitor Id: HWP26A5
Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (59.887Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.5896 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.12.5896
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/10/2010 06:37:00, 9818728 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-45A4-11CF-FB64-74A21FC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x06E4
SubSys ID: 0x82781043
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Driver Strong Name: oem4.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTx86.6.1:Section010:8.17.12.5896:pci\ven_10de&dev_06e4
Rank Of Driver: 00E62001

PS
I don't actually know what the dump files mean or do but apparently they are helpful with BSOD situations for the people trying to fix it. So please dont reply with anything technical as i wont know what your talking about :)

Attachments

• dmp.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 475
Last edited:
As a first step... try taking out the 1gb memory stick and see what happens...

You may have a slight memory incompatibility or the older memory is failing.
This should be confirmed/eliminated before going much further.

There was never a 1gb stick in the machine, when i brought the PC it has 2 512mb sticks in it.

I previously took out the 2 512mb sticks and left the 2gb stick in there and on the "Windows is starting" it blue screened instantly, i rebooted and windows loaded and then after about 2 minutes it blue screened again. I took the 2gb stick out and put it back in, still leaving the 2 512s out and it worked like it normally would and after about 30 minutes it blue screened again.

Should i add, it mainly blue screens when i do things like play a video on youtube, listen to music, play games etc....

Let me also say i have used the windows 7 memory test thing to check for memory errors and also i have used a program called memory+ or something i cant remember the name off hand, but you burn the ISO and boot it, and it does tests.

Both returned no errors in the memory.

First rule of thumb: Any machine with AVG and bsod, AVG must go no matter what.
Please remove it in safe mode using the following tool:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Boot to normal mode and install MSE which will never cause a bsod under any circumstances and is great on resources.

----------

Simply must get this driver off the system:

Code:
 giveio   giveio.sys   Wed Apr 03 22:33:25 1996

Speedfan or similar motherboard utilities install this driver. Uninstall all such software. Then go to C:\Windows\System32\

and manually delete the driver if still there.

Use Ccleaner to clean the registry. Reboot.

-------------

Dameon Tools and sptd are notorious bsod causers. Please uninstall Daemon Tools in the normal method. Then use the installer/uninstaller found here to remove sptd.sys:

DuplexSecure - Downloads

I recommend PowerIso as a drive emulation replacement as it will never bsod on you and is perfectly stable. Emulation part of the software is free forever.

PowerISO - Create, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Mount, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive

-------------

Find out which chipset your motherboard uses. (Use CPU-Z if you don't know which motherboard, then Google about it.)

Install the latest chipset and storage drivers for it from NVIDIA to replace the following driver and others:

Code:
nvm62x32 nvm62x32.sys Fri Oct 17 17:00:39 2008

Link Removed - Invalid URL

(You want nForce type drivers.)

----------

Follow all this and you'll be well off after. Enjoy.

Thanks so much for taking the time to type that out, its really muchly appreciated! ill get too it and then report feedback!

Find out which chipset your motherboard uses. (Use CPU-Z if you don't know which motherboard, then Google about it.)

Install the latest chipset and storage drivers for it from NVIDIA to replace the following driver and others:

Code:
nvm62x32 nvm62x32.sys Fri Oct 17 17:00:39 2008

Link Removed - Invalid URL

(You want nForce type drivers.)

----------

Follow all this and you'll be well off after. Enjoy.

Okay so i have done everything upto this step, cause im not quite sure what you mean? I downloaded CPUZ but when i try to view my chipset i get this.

16aunba.png

I also have no idea what you mean by download those drivers from the NVIDIA website, because i already downloaded the lastest drivers from there for my graphics card prior to making this forum thread. Because that program wouldnt show me anything, i selected the auto-detect option and it showed me the driver i had already previously downloaded and installed.

Also to make matters worse, throughout doing the so far done steps my PC has blue screen 1million + times, its so annoying cause for example i was doing the registry scanner *BAM* blue screen. Its funny because every time i get a blue screen almost everytime its a different error.

Something else i should probably add is that, also sometimes my PC will just fully lockup and not do anything, which will result in my manually rebooting the computer.

Ughhhh, its just soo annoying i feel like throwing the whole thing overboard.

btw here is a attachment of my latest file dumps.

Attachments

• dump.zip
    55.2 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
You haven't removed sptd.sys nor Daemon Tools yet, as they are both showing up in crash dumps.

As for the chipset drivers, they have no relation to the NVIDIA video drivers. You can Google your specific system in hopes of learning which chipset it uses. Then search NVIDIA's site for the latest nForce software to install.

You haven't removed sptd.sys nor Daemon Tools yet, as they are both showing up in crash dumps.

As for the chipset drivers, they have no relation to the NVIDIA video drivers. You can Google your specific system in hopes of learning which chipset it uses. Then search NVIDIA's site for the latest nForce software to install.

Also... he should try booting it up with the 2 x 512 memory installed but the 2gb removed. This could be simply bad memory.

And, there's the "Last Resort" trick I use on boards right before I give up on them....
1) Remove the CMOS Battery.
2) Unplug the computer from AC power (or turn off the back panel switch)
3) Wait about a cup of coffee
4) Plug it back in
5) Hit the power switch and let it completely clear and reset the BIOS
6) With power still applied, reinstall the CMOS battery.
7) Enter the BIOS and load "system defaults", save settings.
8) See if it boots.

Note: Step 5 is going to cause mass errors which will be fixed when the BIOS screen is opened.

Really, no it can not be simply bad memory, since these are IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and RAISED_IRQL_USER_FAULT errors. That's a bad driver. That bad driver is sptd.sys as I've said.

Sorry I'm still a little bit confused.

I done a search on my system and there are not results for any sptd.sys, i have removed daemon tools from the uninstall menu on windows and ran that small program you linked me too which when i ran just told me to reboot my PC. So how can the sptd still possibly be showing? thats ofc unless the dump you were looking at was logged before i had removed it.

Also im still really confused with these nforce drivers. How do i find out what chipset i have if CPUZ isnt showing me them? and what are the nforce drivers? are they for my whole computer or only for the graphics card? which i have already said have the latest drivers.

Also im running my PC now with just the 2 x 512mb its still blue screening.

If the latest crash dump was created before you removed sptd.sys, show me a new crash dump now without sptd.sys in it and we can take things from there.

Without a new crash dump, I'd be inclined to believe there is no longer a problem.

With a new crash dump, we will do the best to get to the bottom of things.

Please post as soon as it's convenient for you. :)

I think you have nForce4 chipset. In that case, I'm fairly sure there is no available update from NVIDIA for that.

I don't actually have access to the PC at the moment, as I'm not at home. But I will post them as soon as possible.

What do you mean by there are no updated drivers? Does that mean that the card isn't compatible with Windows 7?

Also I remember the latest error I got is "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area"

One last thing is I actually provided false information above, my dad got a little mixed up when I had asked him. When the 2gb stick was out and the 2 x 512 we're in i posted above that it was still blue screening, that isnt actually correct is wasnt blue screening but the computer was locking up so i would have to reboot the PC manually.

As soon as i put the 2gb back in, i get the blue screen almost instantly now on start up.

What do you mean by there are no updated drivers? Does that mean that the card isn't compatible with Windows 7?

We're not discussing anything to do with the video card here. NVIDIA is famous for video sure, but they have also made the chipset for your motherboard. That means that lots of motherboard drivers you have installed are from NVIDIA too. In your case, you have nForce4 chipset and the drivers already installed are the latest offered by them. For the moment, I wouldn't worry about this any longer.

It will be interesting to see a new crash dump or many, as we could then get a better understanding if it is still a driver issue or something hardware related. For now, I suggest replacing all the memory modules in the pc to how it was before. When it crashes like this, then post the dump(s) for it.

This Realtek HD Audio driver is not the machine's problem, but please update this anyhow in the name of good practice:

Code:
RTKVHDA  RTKVHDA.sys  Tue Aug 04 05:48:13 2009

Realtek

--------

This is a known problem causer:

Code:
adfs     adfs.SYS     Thu Aug 14 10:57:15 2008

Please update all of your installed Adobe software. Then check in C:\Windows\System32\drivers to see the properties of this file. If the last modified date is still the same, please let me know.

We will have to do something about this too, then.

---------

Please try to make all new crash dumps posted from when these two things have been done as well.

Okay im officially now stumped!

The computer got so bad i couldnt even start it. It just hung on "Windows is now starting" and wouldnt do anything. So i completely formatted the HD and got out my recovery CDs with Vista on them that i got when i purchased the PC, and i done a complete fresh install of Vista.

Now everything was running smoothly and i thought i would pop the 2gb of RAM back in.
As soon as i turned it on, i went onto youtube and watched a video, it got half way before making a really loud noise followed by a blue screen.

(Also quick to point out, i hav the RAM ordered as follows 512mb | 512mb | 2gb. I noticed on the CPU performance thing that when my PC exceeds 1gb thats when it blue screens. Im starting to think the 2gb ram i purchased has died.)

When i turned the PC back on it blue screened instantly and rebooted, it done this a total of 4 times, untill i took the 2gb of RAM back out. Now as im typing this i only have the 2 x 512s in.

Here are the dumps of the fresh install, i had NOTHING installed, just MSE and whatever was installed along with windows.

Attachments

• Dump.zip
    110.2 KB · Views: 315
Anyone?? This is truly driving me crazy.... i really badly need help or suggestions!

Btw im not JUST making this post to bump my thread up but i also have some more info to add, if you havent already read the last few dumps i posted above from my fresh install of Vista, for the first time this morning the PC blue-screened with only the 2 x 512s in. Im going to post the dump, but also dont forget to check the other ones i posted aboved.

Thanks

Attachments

• Dump.zip
    21.4 KB · Views: 306
Can I be perfectly honest with you? I will because I think it will have the best long-term outcome.

I can debug your Vista install with success but all those 2007, 2006 and even 2005 drivers that appear in your dump files simply make me cringe. It's not from anything you did wrong. This is normal for Vista.
Nothing against the OS itself at all, but as I said, it is not what I like to see.

I really would not be surprised if adfs.sys was your problem while on Windows 7.

I advise to install Windows 7 by booting to the DVD. When it asks where to install to, use the advanced button to format the partition you will install to. This will guarantee that the new Windows will be clean.

Once to desktop, do not install anything from Adobe for now. Flash for the browser(s) would be fine.

If you run into problems, then please post the crash dumps again. One way or another, you will end up with a really well working machine. If there is a hardware issue, we will figure that out as well.

Well i have formatted the HD twice now both with Vista and Windows 7 and i haven't installed anything and still received the blue screen of death, so im not sure why doing it again will make a difference.

Before i registered on this forums i had previously done a complete format and on the first boot got a blue screen, before i had installed anything.

There is def something wrong because it should not be blue screening at its factory default state. The only reason i installed vista back on is because i wanted the PC to be exact how it came when i first purchased it, back when everything was fine.

And im trying to minimize the amount of time i reinstall the OS cause the parents are starting to get annoyed.

And im trying to minimize the amount of time i reinstall the OS cause the parents are starting to get annoyed.

With all due respect, of course - If they had to pay for the level of support I'm giving and will definitely continue to do for you and them, they would be at least 10 times more annoyed then they are now.

Please let me see a new crash dump that occurred under Windows 7. I guarantee you 100% that we will sort the issue. Once drivers are in perfect condition, we can then begin to test the physical RAM for defects.

Last edited:
Believe me man im really great full for your support, i want nothing more than to sort this out, and if we do ill def owe you one.

anyway okay ill have to reinstall windows 7 again to provide you with a new dump, cause like i said im running vista atm.

Here's what ill do, ill format the HD using the windows 7 disc, install windows 7, do all the microsoft updates (so the latest drivers are installed etc.), wait for it to blue screen (quite confident it will) and report back with the dumps.

Back