Windows 7 Constant Network Timeouts

gigabyte-me

I recently installed windows 7 home premium and have been having constant problems accessing several websites. I consistently get "The connection has timed out" while browsing. I mainly use firefox but I have also tried explorer which yields the same response. I am connecting to a wireless network which in turn links up to xplornet satellite internet due to a lack of choices in the matter. The ping times I get are usually 1500ms to 2100ms which is terrible I know but works fine with all of my xp computers. Is there some way to increase the amount of time before a timeout or is my problem something else? Thanks!

PS: It's 32 bit

So to add some more information... My internet access does somewhat work but several webpages time out on a regular basis. I have installed windows 7 on my laptop as well and it has no problem accessing the sites my tower will not. I just did a fresh install on the tower and did not install an anti-virus program just to see if that was the problem which it is not. Another interesting detail is that some web pages' pictures will not display at all. I'm using a DWA-552 D-Link Wireless card on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L motherboard. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The card is Win7 32 bit compatible, so that's not the problem. Have you gone to gigabyte's site to make sure all your drivers and bios is up to date depending on you Rev # 1.0 or 1.1 there are some BIOS updates, one as recent as 11/2009 again depending on the Rev #. There are also chipset drivers and others. It's always a good idea to have these as current as possible. Also there seems to be an embedded Lan card on the MoBo have you the option to attempt to use this?

I haven't updated the chipsets but I do have the most recent bios. My board is rev 1.0. As for the embedded lan I unfortunately must connect through a wireless connection so I haven't really been able to attempt that. I will download the chipset drivers and report back. Thanks

just a couple. Have you tried unchecking IPv6 in the properties of your wireless card. And have you tried different DNS servers in the properties of IPv4, maybe try the google public dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Set the dns and disabled ipv6.. Actually got on google.. No dice with any of the other sites though... Is it too much to hope for anymore advice?

what type of wireless router are you connecting to, manufacturer, model, version numbers?

yeah, I didn't actually suspect the router, since you said the laptop was working fine. Try this
at an elevated command prompt type
netsh int ip show offload
let me know if you get anything back in response.

Interface 1: Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1

Interface 15: Wireless Network Connection

Interface 11: Local Area Connection

ipv4 transmit checksum supported
udp transmit checksum supported
tcp transmit checksum supported
tcp large send offload supported
ipv4 receive checksum supported
udp receive checksum supported
tcp receive checksum supported

Nope nothing there for the wireless, although you can probably disable the wired nic in device manager since you're not using it. How about proximity, distance from the actual router, as compared to say the laptops distance from the router. The only other thing I can think of is wireless encryption, Win 7 seems to hate WEP and love WPA2 but if the laptop is working fine then I wouldn't suspect that to be an issue either. Have you tried a different browser just to check, maybe chrome. I don't know, I have to admit, I'm clueless.

I'm running WPA2 and have tried firefox and explorer. Will give chrome a go. 100% wireless n signal on desktop whereas i have 82% g on laptop

Back