Windows 7 Continual BOSD please help

Hi there I have had a problem with my PC BSOD at random it's been for over 2 years now and I have tried many things to find the cause/fix.
Firstly I rebuilt the PC as in formatted the drive and started fresh, even during updates I got BOSD and still have today and yesterday.
I have changed the RAM and the hard drive as I needed better ones I bought new ones.
I suspect something to do with the GPU as in the past sometimes it booted with a corrupted screen but after leaving it on for about 15 mins it came good by itself.
What would you need me to send or post to be able to look at the faults when it crashes?
Thank you.

Hello and welcome to the forums.
First make sure your machine is configured properly to facilitate the collection of .dmp files.
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Then……Please read the first post in this sticky thread here How to ask for help with a BSOD problem
Do your best to accumulate the data required.
Run the SF Diagnostic tool (download and right click the executable and choose run as administrator)
Download and run CPUz. Use the Windows snipping tool to gather images from all tabs including all slots populated with memory under the SPD tab.Likewise RAMMon. Export the html report, put everything into a desktop folder that you've created for this purpose, zip it up and attach it to your next post (right click it and choose send to, compressed (zipped) folder.

Hi hope there is something in here to help, thank you for your help.

Attachments

• RAMMon - SPD Info.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    418.2 KB · Views: 402
  • W7F_29-05-2014.zip
    474.3 KB · Views: 237
Hi,
unfortunately still no dump files. Did you make the changes outlined by Trouble above? If so you may have had a crash but not a blue screen?

Hi I think I'm barking up the wrong tree here the PC does actually crash not blue screen, where do I go to find the cure for this?
Thank you.

Reasons for crashing can be many and varied but i guess the main culprits are:

Have you checked your temperatures? Try monitoring them with this app:
http://www.hwinfo.com/

Check your windows install isn't corrupt:
Find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and choose run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Run a chkdsk:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Certain anti-virus apps can also cause crashing especially if you have more than one running.

Check your Event logs and see if anything crops up that might relate to the crashing.

I notice you have a AMD 5870, these cards require a reasonably powerful PSU, can you post the make and model of your power supply unit.

Hi there, I just did a brand new install of W7 thought it might be corrupted, I read on here about AV so took it out and the PSU is a Corsair HX850 , it's the Silver rated model.
Re temps the motherboard and CPU are watercooled as was the HD5870, today I have taken out the 5870 replaced it with a 480GTX to see if it's the GPU.
I will run it and then post.
Thanks for your help guys superb forum.

Last edited:
Hi all great news not a single problem since swapping the GPU for an N Vidia 480GTX ran it at full load pulling 480watts from the mains no problem at all.
Thanks for your help, great forum great people.

well you couldn't write this, just as I posted this message saying all was good within 4 seconds blue screen and stuck on blue screen for over 3 mins and still stuck.
Error code:
blue screen 0x0000001a (0x0000000000041790, oxfffffa80043181d0, 0x000000000000ffff, 0x0000000000000000) collecting crash dump dumping physical memory to disk: 55

Please can you help me again.

Hi Andrew,
still no dump file I'm afraid. Tell me, are you running the machine without a Pagefile or one that is less than 2GB? I only ask as that could be a main cause as to why no dump file creation and I see your running an SSD.. :) If this is the case change the pagefile so it's at least 2000mb or 2GB.
As for Memtest86, ideally it would be better if you could leave it running overnight. The only reason for this is that sometimes RAM errors can take some hours to appear.
Looking through what info you have sent try removing AVG AV as this is known to cause issues at times. Try using MSE for the meantime as it's ultra stable:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

Hi Kemical
I tried looking and it's crashed so many times now I think it's corrupted but no worries as you can see there is no information on it so it's quick to rebuild, I had taken out the AVG as far as I can remember because I read it has issues but I could be mistaken.
It's formatting now then I'll send in the new info when it's rebuilt.
Thanks for the time your putting in to help.

Glad to help.. :) Good luck with the reformat and do post back if you need to.

Well master of my own problem I think, after changing out the ATI for the Nvidia it was working fine until I watercooled the Nvidia then BSOD??
I was thinking I had done something wrong and I had, I only managed to loop the water pump radiator, Nvidia and cpu together then by putting the pipes on in a hurry I connected all the motherboard and looped the waterblocks together so the motherboard was overheating!!
I used to do a lot of overclocking was in the top 10 in the UK 5 years ago when I packed up so the watercooling should come easy to me.
But anything to do with what you do on here I'm useless at, I also have no idea how to programme.
So might have found the problem that I caused myself!!
I have found this a very interesting website with the most helpful people.

Glad to hear you found the culprit. Just post back if you should need us again. Best of luck.. :)

Hi again all was going well until I was typing an email and BSOD again.
Please can you help me again.
Thank you.

Attachments

• blue screen info.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 416
Back