Windows 10 How to fix frequent BSODs caused by nvlddmkm.sys, ntoskrnl.exe and win32kbase.sys? (PLEASE HELP ANYONE)

FLAM3playZ

So, whenever I play Valorant or Combat Masters on my PC, BSOD occurs with the errors like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_ERROR

The BlueScreenView says that these stop codes are caused by nvlddmkm.sys, ntoskrnl.exe and win32kbase.sys.

Noteworthy that, I recently did a "Reset this PC" and I only updated the Intel iCLS Client, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, Realtek High Definition Audio, Graphics Driver. Intel Management Engine WMI Provider & Intel 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller drivers. But BSODs are still frequent and it's messing up everything. Please help me someone to fix it.

I have uploaded the Minidump.dmp and Memory.dmp of the last 4 BSOD crashes here.

SystemInformation:

1st Crash:

MINIDUMP:

MEMORY:

2nd Crash:

MINIDUMP:

MEMORY:

3rd Crash:

MINIDUMP:

4th Crash:

MINIDUMP:

Based on the information and files you have provided, it seems that the BSODs you are experiencing are most likely caused by issues related to your graphics card driver (nvlddmkm.sys), the Windows kernel (ntoskrnl.exe), and the graphics subsystem (win32kbase.sys).

Here are some steps that you can try to fix the issue:

1. Update your graphics card driver: As the BSODs seem to be related to your graphics card, updating its driver to the latest version might help. You can download the latest driver from the official website of your graphics card manufacturer.

2. Run a memory diagnostic test: Some BSODs can be caused by faulty memory modules. You can run Windows Memory Diagnostic or a third-party tool like Memtest86 to check for any memory issues.

3. Perform a clean boot: Sometimes, third-party applications or services running on your PC can cause conflicts with system resources, leading to BSODs. You can perform a clean boot to isolate the issue.

4. Perform a system file check: The ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error could indicate a corrupt system file. You can run a system file check by opening Command Prompt as an administrator and typing "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) and hit Enter.

5. Use a system restore point: If you have a system restore point created before the start of the BSODs, you can try restoring your system to that point.

I hope that one of these steps helps to fix the issue. If the problem persists, you may want to seek further assistance from a computer technician or Microsoft support.

Based on the information and files you have provided, it seems that the BSODs you are experiencing are most likely caused by issues related to your graphics card driver (nvlddmkm.sys), the Windows kernel (ntoskrnl.exe), and the graphics subsystem (win32kbase.sys).

Here are some steps that you can try to fix the issue:

1. Update your graphics card driver: As the BSODs seem to be related to your graphics card, updating its driver to the latest version might help. You can download the latest driver from the official website of your graphics card manufacturer.

2. Run a memory diagnostic test: Some BSODs can be caused by faulty memory modules. You can run Windows Memory Diagnostic or a third-party tool like Memtest86 to check for any memory issues.

3. Perform a clean boot: Sometimes, third-party applications or services running on your PC can cause conflicts with system resources, leading to BSODs. You can perform a clean boot to isolate the issue.

4. Perform a system file check: The ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error could indicate a corrupt system file. You can run a system file check by opening Command Prompt as an administrator and typing "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) and hit Enter.

5. Use a system restore point: If you have a system restore point created before the start of the BSODs, you can try restoring your system to that point.

I hope that one of these steps helps to fix the issue. If the problem persists, you may want to seek further assistance from a computer technician or Microsoft support.
1) GPU is updated to the latest version
2) I did run a memory diagnostic test
3) I also performed a clean boot earlier
4) I performed sfc /scannow multiple times
5) I even did the system restore point

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP AAAAA

I'm sorry to hear that these previous solutions did not resolve your issue. Here are some additional steps you can try:

1. Check for Windows updates: Sometimes, Windows updates can include important bug fixes and patches that can address BSOD issues. Make sure your Windows is up to date by checking for updates in the Windows Settings.

2. Confirm the health of your hard drive: If there are any issues with your hard drive, it could be causing the BSOD errors. You can check the health of your hard drive by running a diagnostic tool such as CrystalDiskInfo or HD Tune.

3. Conduct a clean install of the graphics card driver: Even though you have updated the graphics driver to the latest version, it is still possible that there may be some residual files left causing the issue. You can try doing a clean install of the driver.

4. Check for any hardware issues: It is possible that the BSODs could be caused by faulty hardware components, such as the RAM or graphics card. You can try running hardware diagnostic tests to check for any issues.

5. Perform a Windows repair installation: A repair installation can help to replace any corrupted system files. To do this, you will need a Windows installation media, either a DVD or a USB flash drive containing the Windows installation files.

I hope these additional steps can help you resolve your issue. If they don't, it may be best to consult with a professional technician who can help diagnose and fix the issue.

None of the dumps conclusively point to a causer. Two of them fail during a graphics operation and reference nvlddmkm.sys - the Nvidia graphics driver. One of these also references the Riot Vanguard anti-cheat driver vgk.sys - this is known to cause BSOds. Of the other two, one was caused by an instance of svchost.exe crashing, the other is rather inconclusive.

It's quite possible that all these dumps are being caused by a third-party driver that we don't see in the dumps, that's quite common - a rougue driver creates a problem which isn't discovered until later when a completely different driver hits the screw-up. The wise thing to do now then, will be to run Driver Verifier, this applies additional tests/checks to selected drivers every time they are called. These test/checks are designed to make flaky drivers fail. Here's how to run Driver Verifier...

1. Take a System Restore point and/or take a disk image of your system drive (with Acronis, Macrium Reflect, or similar). It is possible that Driver Verifier may BSOD a driver during the boot process (some drivers are loaded during boot). If that happens you'll be stuck in a boot-BSOD loop.

If you should end up in a boot-BSOD loop, boot the Windows installation media and use that to run system restore and restore to the restore point you took, to remove Driver Verifier and get you booting again. Alternatively you can use the Acronis, Macrium Reflect, or similar, boot media to restore the disk image you took.

Please don't skip this step. it's the only way out of a Driver Verifier boot-BSOD loop.

2. Start the Driver Verifier setup dialog by entering the command verifier in either the Run command box or in a command prompt.

3. On that initial dialog, click the radio button for 'Create custom settings (for code developers)' - the second option - and click the Next button.

4. On the second dialog check (click) the checkboxes for the following tests...
  • Special Pool
  • Force IRQL checking
  • Pool Tracking
  • Deadlock Detection
  • Security Checks
  • Miscellaneous Checks
  • Power framework delay fuzzing
  • DDI compliance checking
Then click the Next button.

5. On the next dialog click the radio button for 'Select driver names from a list' - the last option - and click the Next button.

6. On the next dialog click on the 'Provider' heading, this will sort the drivers on this column (it makes it easier to isolate Microsoft drivers).

7. Now check (click) ALL drivers that DO NOT have Microsoft as the provider (ie. check all third-party drivers).

8. Then, on the same dialog, check the following Microsoft drivers (and ONLY these Microsoft drivers)...
  • Wdf01000.sys
  • ndis.sys
  • fltMgr.sys
  • Storport.sys

9. Now click Finish and then reboot. Driver Verifiier will be enabled.

Be aware that Driver Verifier will remain enabled across all reboots and shutdowns. It can only be disabled manually.

Also be aware that we expect BSODs. Indeed, we want BSODs, to be able to identify the flaky driver(s). You MUST keep all minidumps created whilst Driver Verifier is running, so disable any disk cleanup tools you may have.

10. Leave Driver Verifier running until you have between 5 and 10 BSODs/dumps, or for 48 hours. Use your PC as normal during this time, but do try and make it BSOD. Use every game or app that you normally use, and especially those where you have seen it BSOD in the past.

11. To turn Driver Verifier off enter the command verifier /reset in either Run command box or a command prompt and reboot.

Should you wish to check whether Driver Verfier is enabled or not, open a command prompt and enter the command verifier /query.

12. When Driver Verifier has been disabled, navigate to the folder C:\Windows\Minidump and locate all .dmp files in there that are related to the period when Driver Verifier was running (check the timestamps). Zip these files up (using the Windows built-in zip tool) and upload that zip file to here or to the cloud with a link to it here.

If your still having issues, boot into safe mode and run the display driver uninstaller. This removes anything and everything to do with your previous 3rd party driver installs. Reboot and install latest driver version.

None of the dumps conclusively point to a causer. Two of them fail during a graphics operation and reference nvlddmkm.sys - the Nvidia graphics driver. One of these also references the Riot Vanguard anti-cheat driver vgk.sys - this is known to cause BSOds. Of the other two, one was caused by an instance of svchost.exe crashing, the other is rather inconclusive.

It's quite possible that all these dumps are being caused by a third-party driver that we don't see in the dumps, that's quite common - a rougue driver creates a problem which isn't discovered until later when a completely different driver hits the screw-up. The wise thing to do now then, will be to run Driver Verifier, this applies additional tests/checks to selected drivers every time they are called. These test/checks are designed to make flaky drivers fail. Here's how to run Driver Verifier...

1. Take a System Restore point and/or take a disk image of your system drive (with Acronis, Macrium Reflect, or similar). It is possible that Driver Verifier may BSOD a driver during the boot process (some drivers are loaded during boot). If that happens you'll be stuck in a boot-BSOD loop.

If you should end up in a boot-BSOD loop, boot the Windows installation media and use that to run system restore and restore to the restore point you took, to remove Driver Verifier and get you booting again. Alternatively you can use the Acronis, Macrium Reflect, or similar, boot media to restore the disk image you took.

Please don't skip this step. it's the only way out of a Driver Verifier boot-BSOD loop.

2. Start the Driver Verifier setup dialog by entering the command verifier in either the Run command box or in a command prompt.

3. On that initial dialog, click the radio button for 'Create custom settings (for code developers)' - the second option - and click the Next button.

4. On the second dialog check (click) the checkboxes for the following tests...
  • Special Pool
  • Force IRQL checking
  • Pool Tracking
  • Deadlock Detection
  • Security Checks
  • Miscellaneous Checks
  • Power framework delay fuzzing
  • DDI compliance checking
Then click the Next button.

5. On the next dialog click the radio button for 'Select driver names from a list' - the last option - and click the Next button.

6. On the next dialog click on the 'Provider' heading, this will sort the drivers on this column (it makes it easier to isolate Microsoft drivers).

7. Now check (click) ALL drivers that DO NOT have Microsoft as the provider (ie. check all third-party drivers).

8. Then, on the same dialog, check the following Microsoft drivers (and ONLY these Microsoft drivers)...
  • Wdf01000.sys
  • ndis.sys
  • fltMgr.sys
  • Storport.sys

9. Now click Finish and then reboot. Driver Verifiier will be enabled.

Be aware that Driver Verifier will remain enabled across all reboots and shutdowns. It can only be disabled manually.

Also be aware that we expect BSODs. Indeed, we want BSODs, to be able to identify the flaky driver(s). You MUST keep all minidumps created whilst Driver Verifier is running, so disable any disk cleanup tools you may have.

10. Leave Driver Verifier running until you have between 5 and 10 BSODs/dumps, or for 48 hours. Use your PC as normal during this time, but do try and make it BSOD. Use every game or app that you normally use, and especially those where you have seen it BSOD in the past.

11. To turn Driver Verifier off enter the command verifier /reset in either Run command box or a command prompt and reboot.

Should you wish to check whether Driver Verfier is enabled or not, open a command prompt and enter the command verifier /query.

12. When Driver Verifier has been disabled, navigate to the folder C:\Windows\Minidump and locate all .dmp files in there that are related to the period when Driver Verifier was running (check the timestamps). Zip these files up (using the Windows built-in zip tool) and upload that zip file to here or to the cloud with a link to it here.
I sort of gave up on this but I want to come back to the game so I tried the Driver Verifier now. Apologies for the late reply.
I attached a zip consisting of minidumps of three BSODs that occurred during Driver Verifier. And a brief note of the settings of Driver Verifier below:

1) 1st Verification

UNCHECKED TESTS -> Randomized Low Resources Simulation and DDI compliance checking
DRIVERS -> ALL DRIVERS whose Provider is not Microsoft Corp.
BSOD -> BSOD Occurred at startup, .DMP file shows ntoskrnl.exe and vgk.sys caused BSOD

2) 2nd Verification

UNCHECKED TEST -> DDI compliance checking
DRIVERS -> ALL DRIVERS whose Provider is not Microsoft Corp, but the following four drivers provided by Microsoft are selected,

Wdf01000.sys
ndis.sys
fltMgr.sys
Storport.sys

BSOD -> BSOD Occurred at startup, .DMP file shows ntoskrnl.exe and vgk.sys caused BSOD

3) 3rd Verification

UNCHECKED TEST -> DDI compliance checking
DRIVERS -> VGK.SYS was deselected, and ALL MICROSOFT drivers were deselected as well.
BSOD ->
NO BSOD on STARTUP, but BSOD occurred later
Since I was able to log in, I got into VALORANT, but the game was extremely laggy (FPS dropped to around 05-10). I roamed inside the practice range for around 3-5minutes. Then I quit the game. The moment I quit the game, a BSOD occurred.

Please provide me with further help on how to fix it. I tried reinstalling VALORANT and Riot Vanguard but no help.

Attachments

• DRIVER VERIFIER MINIDUMPS.zip
    114.6 KB · Views: 0
If your still having issues, boot into safe mode and run the display driver uninstaller. This removes anything and everything to do with your previous 3rd party driver installs. Reboot and install latest driver version.

I always use DDU when updating graphics card drivers.

I found this page via Reddit:

There is a potential fix but I dunno maybe you tried it already?

You could try (if you haven't already) contacting the devs as described above?

I am correct in assuming you only bsod when trying these games yes?

Back