Windows 7 Control Panel positioning?

keeto

Honorable Member
Hi there,
I am hoping to find a solution to this:
I want to position the [entire] Control Panel[text and icons] at the top of the desktop window, as is available in XP. One simply drags the icon in the 'Computer' set up[I put this in the taskbar] to the top of the screen and then rt clk near the word C.P and set the required parameters[autohide, etc.].
I have had this ability and used it for a long time now in XP, but unfortunatley, I can't do this in 7. One is not 'allowed' to.
I have searched in the various forums and have posted many times requesting how to do this, but got alot of jibber-jabber as solutions. Nothing, basically.

To have the CP positioned as such I find to be very useful as I use it alot. It's ease of access by being at the top of the screen is top notch. There must be many ppl who have had the same setup...anyone have ideas or similar thinking?
Many thanks...am finally getting used to this 7 OS. After many a failed attempt/s It seems to be fair enough so far. Fairly quick, a bit alien, but geting there. This ability[CP at top of screen] would go a long way to assisting with the 'upgrade'.

[Long Live XP!] keeto

I cannot follow you instructions on how to set up your situation in XP. Could you please explain and be more specific in the descriptions or what needs to be do to reach your goal.

For instance, I do not know what you mean by "icon in the 'Computer' set up."

If you could make a picture and attach using the paperclip, that might help.

Hi Saltglass.
Sorry for editing.

can't get image/similar of Control Panel in XP at the minute, hope this will do.

You can do the same in 7, just that one can't get the CP icon to open up at the top of the desktop window[a CP toolbar window] as it does in XP.

In XP[or 7], place cursor in [unlocked] taskbar...rt clk and choose> Toolbars > New Toolbar > ''Computer'' > Select Folder.

The Computer component list appears on the right side of the taskbar, expand/stretch this toolbar and the Control Panel icon is in there with the others.

Grab the CP icon and whooosh it up to the very top of the desktop and let go, the entire listing for the Control Panel will appear.

'Under' the Control Panel word or in a free space/area, rt click and you have choices[autohide-clear text and always on top amoung others].

Ur good to go...

I have tried to do this in RTM versions of Vista[was lucky once] but it just doesn't happen in 7 either :)...
Thanks,
keeto

Last edited:
Hi Saltglass.
Sorry for editing.

can't get image/similar of Control Panel in XP at the minute, hope this will do.

You can do the same in 7, just that one can't get the CP icon to open up at the top of the desktop window[a CP toolbar window] as it does in XP.

In XP[or 7], place cursor in [unlocked] taskbar...rt clk and choose> Toolbars > New Toolbar > ''Computer'' > Select Folder.

The Computer component list appears on the right side of the taskbar, expand/stretch this toolbar and the Control Panel icon is in there with the others.

Grab the CP icon and whooosh it up to the very top of the desktop and let go, the entire listing for the Control Panel will appear.

'Under' the Control Panel word or in a free space/area, rt click and you have choices[autohide-clear text and always on top amoung others].

Ur good to go...

I have tried to do this in RTM versions of Vista[was lucky once] but it just doesn't happen in 7 either :)...
Thanks,
keeto
Have added attached images.
Still cant' upload images.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the images attached themselves. Could you perhaps try again. It is a bit troublesome to follow your description and an image would help best.

apologies to everyone for all the confusion.

Please find links below to images of screen/s. I couldn't get the attachment manager to work.

1] Unlock and resize the taskbar

Link Removed due to 404 Error

2]RT Clk in Taskbar > Choose Toolbars > then New Toolbar

3]Choose 'My Computer' in Window

4]''Grab'' the Control Panel icon/word in the 'My Computer' listings and move it all the way to the top of the desktop and release

5]CP now in position in List format at the top of the desktop

6]Parameter menu

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas what I can do[if anything] about the above?

Thanks,

keeto

bump...is there anything I can do to allow the control panel icon to ''open up at/into'' the top of the desktop in ''LIST'' format as one can do in XP as seen in the images included in the above posting?
tia,
keeto

Last edited:
bump, once again...anyone? have any ideas, as it has relevancy to use in XP, to me at least.
tia,
keeto

The Win7 version of this is the Control Panel link in your start menu.

All you have to do is right click on it and select "show on desktop".

Granted it's not a quick menu but it is one click access.

Would you agree CommonTater, that this 'one click access' is a backward step, not an improvement[as it was an improvement in XP and previous Windows OS versions]?
Could you take this suggestion[maybe as an 'update'] to the software engineers and have them make this an option for those who want to use it in Windows7?
Many ppl might have use for this either[already], now or in the future.
Having a complete, manouverable toolbar[side or top/bottom position] might be/would be a useful addition to 7.
This can only improve it.
Atb,
Keeto

While I absolutely do agree that not everything in the Aero interface is an improvement over XP shell, I am unfortunately in no position to take anything to anyone on the matter. I'm just a grumpy old user, like yourself... :)

You can pin the control panel to the task bar, but it still just opens the window like always.

Hi Tater, 'grumpy[...definitely], have to call a halt to the old[older perhaps] user though, not quite at that stage yet, though me Pig prolly thinks otherwise.
Thanks, what ya said is encouraging.

Do you know of any, are there any members on this list who could pass said 'suggestion' on to relevant office/s and actually have it implemented?

Cheers Dude

Keeto

Do you know of any, are there any members on this list who could pass said 'suggestion' on to relevant office/s and actually have it implemented?

I'm guessing you have as much pull as any of us do...
Go take a look at the MSDN social networking site...

MSDN Forums

Back
Top Bottom