Windows 7 Convert dynamic disc back to basic on the only system disc

Aris Angelo

Hey guys,

I would like to post my question here.I wanted to make a new partition on my hp laptop on the only disc it has.Unfortunately,because it came with already 4 partitions I accidentally turned the disk into a dynamic disk.Now its booting normally but I cant load the system Image that I have created before the partition.Other than that the pc is running smoothly.
As I said this is the only disk on the system.Is it possible to convert the disk back to basic?After a lot of googling I found some exmples but all of them assumed you had a second disk on your system.Is it possible to convert the disk back to basic without having to reinstall windows?(I have no windows cd)

Thanks a lot,
Aris

I suppose a warning is in order, which you probably already know, that complete data loss is a high probability. Maybe you could re-image the drive after even if you do loose your data.

That being said, here is a site that goes through some options. One of which, using a Hex Editor, is suppose to restore the drive to basic without data loss. There are also some software options mentioned. But I have not tried and cannot verify any of these processes.

Convert a dynamic disk to basic disk by three ways and software to change/revert to Basic Disk.

I suppose a warning is in order, which you probably already know, that complete data loss is a high probability. Maybe you could re-image the drive after even if you do loose your data.

That being said, here is a site that goes through some options. One of which, using a Hex Editor, is suppose to restore the drive to basic without data loss. There are also some software options mentioned. But I have not tried and cannot verify any of these processes.

Convert a dynamic disk to basic disk by three ways and software to change/revert to Basic Disk.

Hey ,thanks for the answer.
I know this problem.My question is:The laptop is empty and I have deleted the extra partition but the disk is still dynamic.If I convert the disc to basic using the windows 7 option,will I need to reinstall the windows??

Also the site you gave me shows how to convert it using the windows option (first way),but it assumes that you have two physical drives when you do it that way.I also think the same is true for the other ways`!

Thanks whs for suggesting pw422. Have now successfully reclaimed my hard drive from invalid, then converted from dynamic to basic and then rebuilt the MBR after failed dual boot with mint 13 and windows 7. Thought it was a lost cause.

Back