convert Mac files to Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by Troy Santos, May 22, 2015.

1. Troy Santos

Troy Santos New Member

May 22, 2015
    My Macbook was stolen a few days ago and now it's time to get a new computer. Not certain that I'll get another Mac. Aside from several things that I'm not crazy about with Apple and the Macbook, there's this consideration. I backed up my whole hard drive onto an external hard disk. Whenever I insert the external drive into a PC and click My Computer, the external disk doesn't show up. It only shows up when I go to eject it. So, I'm wondering if I've got an enormous headache waiting to greet me if I try to convert the Mac files (mostly Pages documents) to Windows files. And, wondering what other unforseen fun is in store if I choose a PC. Suggestions, advice, experiences .... All greatly welcome.
    Thanks much
  2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Nov 30, 2009
    I can only share my personal experience when I had to help a friend recover from a similar situation.
    I actually purchased a product call MacDrive (standard edition) from a company called Mediafour.
    I'm not sure what their 5 day free trial version might allow you to actually accomplish but I can tell you that the purchased version works as advertised and allowed me to recover all of his files from his backup drive.
  3. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

May 22, 2012
    I had a client in much the same boat... in his case we built him a new Windows 8 system (less than 1/2 the cost) then used vmware to install a V-mac onto it so he could still run some of the needed software.
    Macs are very different to Windows so this may not be a easy setup to ajust too.