Windows 7 Copying files problem?

ChrissSpirit

Hi,

Well, when I copy files on my external HDD, it's going fast, until the 1st file is done, after the 1st file, it doesn't really freeze, but stops for like 4-6 secs, and then it suddenly moves on again, with low transfer speed which increases. This happens for each file

e.g.
Copying 13 files à 300MB

{Copying speed: 35MB/s (constantly changing)
Files remaining: 13
Green bar goes up constantly}

~green bar stops moving, transfer speed rate stops changing for 4-6 secs~

{Copying speed: 20MB/s (constantly going up)
Files remaining: 12
Green bar goes up again}

{Copying speed: 20MB/s (constantly going up)
Files remaining: 11
Green bar goes up again}

and so on

I've had this problem once like.. a year ago, but I somehow managed to fix it back then, I can't remember how tho ):

P.S. I have 2 external HDDs, each worked fine until yesterday. This problem only occurs when putting data on the external HDD, not when copying data from it.

Thanks in advance,
ChrissSpirit

What type of external Hard Drive do you have(USB, firewire, eSATA)? Have you checked its properties in device manager to see if any settings need to be adjusted?

Hi

Do you have a restore point before yesterday?
That might be worth a try if this is a Windows related problem.

Mike

What type of external Hard Drive do you have(USB, firewire, eSATA)? Have you checked its properties in device manager to see if any settings need to be adjusted?

Seagate Expansion, USB 2.0, 2TB
Samsung STORY Station USB 2.0, 1TB

Hi

Do you have a restore point before yesterday?
That might be worth a try if this is a Windows related problem.

Mike
Hey,

Yes I do have that, thought I tried that already and it didn't work
This is how my external HDD's got messed up: I used "System Restore" and forgott to turn off/disconnect my external HDD's, and since then, these problems occur. I hope it can be fixed again, since both of my HDD's have the same problem.

Further help much appreciated, more like, I'm begging you for suggestions :(

Hi,
have you tried pressing F8 whilst booting (it may take you a couple of times to catch it right) this get's you into the advanced booting options. Here you have a number of options like 'safe mode' or 'last good known configuration', I would at least give the latter a go.

I don't know how to get Windows to see the drives as new and start over.

Perhaps if it's possible to move all the data from one to the other, formating the blank one (NTFS) you could get Windows to treat it the same as it did previously and see it as a new drive.

If that works you would then repeat the process in the other direction.

Do you have a restore point that is before you ran System Restore in the first place, maybe doing that with the drives disconnected would help.

I'm afraid that going to last good know configuration will just take you to the set up the last time the computer booted.

I'm grasping at straws here but my external drives don't show in Device Manager when they are turned off but maybe turning them on and the telling device manager to disable or uninstall them then rebooting the computer and letting them be discovered again would reset them.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try, going to the run box and typing Scf /scannow is worth a shot too.

As a last resort you could try doing a repair install of Window 7, this seems kind of like over kill, but I don't have any other ideas.
It shouldn't take more then a half hour.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Mike

Last edited:
Hi,

Nope, it's not a windows-related problem, they have the same issue on my laptop.

I think Windwos somehow changed the settings of my external HDD's so shouldn't I be able to change them back somehow?

Help much appreciated~

If you can move the data on them to another location for example a folder on your laptop I would try formating them and starting over.
I never use any of the software that comes with the external drives, the first thing I do is format them so they are clean when I start using them.

I didn't really think that Windows changed settings on the hard drives them selves, just in Windows preferences someplace but I guess it's possible.

Mike

Last edited:
I tried formating already, performance doesn't improve at all.

If I go to Device Manager, rightclick on the Device and set it to "Better performance" on "Policies" tab, it works just as before. Which is kinda sad thought, thinking that I got this performance without changing those settings before my HDD's got messed up.

Help much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom