Windows 7 Corrupted Display Driver, wierd display

Zem

Hello, I've been using this forum for a lot of information. I've searched, but i didn't find one like this, so i created an account and is now writing this.

The display driver seems to be corrupted. When i turn the computer on, it does not show me the "Windows is starting up..." instead, i see yellow and white stripes. I know that this is not my moniter's driver because external display will not work at all, and that the screen responds by changing its color when I move my mouse.

This had happened once already, and i could somewhat see what was happenening on my moniter. This time, i don't see anything except for stripes, so i couldn't go and reinstall the driver. The computer works fine, except for the display.

I've tried Safe Mode, but it's not as safe i thought it would be, because it still used my corrupted driver.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS, and is running Windows 7 Ultimate on a Compaq Presario v3700.

I was having other problems, for example, I manually needed to make my computer know that i wanted to change my audio outputs between speakers and headphones. (like, the speakers will still play its sound and my headphones will have none)

Please help, I've never had this kind of problem before.

How should i fix this?

Solution
It sounds like you are facing display driver issues on your Windows 7 Ultimate system with a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS graphics card. The symptoms you describe, such as seeing yellow and white stripes on the screen instead of the normal Windows startup screen, indicate a problem with the graphics driver.
Here are the steps you can take to try and resolve this issue:
### Steps to Fix Display Driver Issues:
1. Boot into Safe Mode:
- Start your computer and rapidly press the F8 key before the Windows logo appears.
- Select "Safe Mode" from the boot menu to load Windows with basic drivers.
2. Uninstall the Corrupted Display Driver:
- Press Windows Key + R, type devmgmt.msc, and hit Enter.
- In the Device...
It sounds like you are facing display driver issues on your Windows 7 Ultimate system with a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS graphics card. The symptoms you describe, such as seeing yellow and white stripes on the screen instead of the normal Windows startup screen, indicate a problem with the graphics driver.
Here are the steps you can take to try and resolve this issue:
### Steps to Fix Display Driver Issues:
1. Boot into Safe Mode:
- Start your computer and rapidly press the F8 key before the Windows logo appears.
- Select "Safe Mode" from the boot menu to load Windows with basic drivers.
2. Uninstall the Corrupted Display Driver:
- Press Windows Key + R, type devmgmt.msc, and hit Enter.
- In the Device Manager, locate the Display Adapters section.
- Right-click on the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS and select "Uninstall device."
- Check the box that says "Delete the driver software for this device" if available.
- Restart your computer.
3. Reinstall the Graphics Driver:
- Download the latest NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS driver from the NVIDIA website or use a tool like GeForce Experience to automatically find and install the correct driver.
- Install the downloaded driver and follow the on-screen instructions.
4. Check Monitor Settings:
- Ensure that your monitor settings (resolution, refresh rate) are correct in both Windows and the NVIDIA Control Panel.
### Audio Output Switching Issue:
To address the issue with audio outputs between speakers and headphones:
  • Right-click on the volume icon in the system tray and select "Playback Devices."
  • Set your preferred output device as default by right-clicking on it.
  • Check the sound properties of both the speakers and headphones to ensure they are configured correctly.
### Additional Considerations:
  • System Restore: If the issue persists, consider using System Restore to revert your system to a previous working state.
  • Hardware Check: It's also worth checking the physical connections of your GPU and monitor.
Hopefully, following these steps will help resolve the display driver issue and the audio output switching problem on your Compaq Presario v3700. Let me know if you need further assistance!

Solution
Back