Windows 7 Crazy DUAL Monitor problems on x64. Please help me someone

Cynical

Hi guys! I promiess ive searched everywhere and formated to try again on fresh install and new drivers but nothing works.

Ok my problem. I got two monitors and a GTX285 card. When i try to make it dual screen it just wont work. One screen refuse to work, says no signal.
When i check screen pref. then i see both screens. Ive tried to mirror the screen and extend but nothing works. Changed resolutions on both screens to make sure that its nothing like that.. still nothing.
If i unplug one screen (The one that works) and reboot then it works all the way until Windows7 loggs on. Then it turns it self down and go to sleep.

I dont know how more to explain this but its driving me mental =/
Anyone who know how to solve this?

Best regards Cyn

If you say it works fine until Windows loads, it's definitely a driver problem. If that's the case, you should be able to see any monitor on one cable connection, meaning, if you unplug the working screen and plug in the not working one where the working one was, now that screen should work as well. If not, then it WOULD be a possible screen problem but that would be weird because the "not working" one works at boot time.

To check this out more, plug in only the "bad monitor" and into the connection that doesn't work and boot into safe mode. This will boot Windows with minimum drivers. See if it works then. It should.

Anyhow, if you DO conclude that it's a driver issue, try installing an older driver and check it out. You can find older drivers on the Nvidia Site. If you can't, PM me and I'll send you some.

Last edited:
Ok, two questions and one comment..

What type of connections do you have to the two monitors?

Are they running the same resolution? I see you tried changing, but what are they running...

Some monitors, like mine, have specific drivers for an HDMI or DVI connection.

Last edited:
I have never run two monitors on my system, so I plugged in another monitor to test. The power was completely off when I plugged the second monitor using a DVI cable to the second output of the GTX 480. I made no setting changes in my system previously, but after boot, as soon as I logged in the second monitor showed up. It seemed to have a signal prior to logging in, but was black.

Attached is a picture of the Nvidia Control Panel.

Attachments

• Monitors.GIF
    Monitors.GIF
    81.3 KB · Views: 507
In addition to the previous helpful advice, it is worth checking the refresh rate. If anything other than 60 Hz, set it to that. If your monitor is capable of higher, set it so AFTER figuring out the problem. 60 for now.

In addition to the previous helpful advice, it is worth checking the refresh rate. If anything other than 60 Hz, set it to that. If your monitor is capable of higher, set it so AFTER figuring out the problem. 60 for now.

You got to it before I did TorrentG.....check the refresh rate. I have two monitors as well. Primary is HP w1907 lcd with a refresh rate @ 60 Hz and secondary monitor a Gateway HD LCD 19" with a refresh rate @ 75 Hz. Go to control panel, hardware and Sound, diplay, adjust resolution, Advance settings, monitor and screen refresh rate and change it.

Last edited:
I'm sure all the above should have fixed your problem by now but here's what I do personally:

I have 3 monitors. two are 19" and one is an LCD 24". The 2 are connected to a Nvidia dual monitor graphic card and the bigger screen is connected to HDMI. Now, the HDMI monitor only displays when I'm editing video in my NLE editing program. (Only have the HDMI connection on my video editing card). When I want to use the bigger monitor for personal use, like watching a movie or something, I need to disconnect one of the smaller monitors and connect the big monitor via the DVI connection (and disconnect the HDMI wire from the computer). This process takes 3 seconds but here's what happens and what I do:

1. I take out the HDMI wire.
2. On the computer, I take out the DVI cable of one of the monitors.
3. I connect the DVI cable of the bigger monitor to the computer (always have that cable connected to the big screen as well for this purpose)
4. I MUST turn off the LCD monitor and then turn it back on.

At this point, the LCD monitor turns on but the resolution is wrong.
Then I right click on the desktop and click "NVIDIA control panel".
All screens go black for a few seconds and 2 sounds are heard (the sound of hardware disconnecting and then the sound of hardware reconnecting) and then the LCD monitor get sthe correct resolution (and refresh rate I guess - never checked what it does there). Then I just close the Nvidia control panel. (Don't need to anything in the control panel. Just open and close it and Nvidia recognizes the LCD and automatically configures resolution and what ever else.

OK, when I'm done and want to go back to the two smaller screens, I do the same process. When I reconnect the smaller screen in place of the LCD, the smaller screen is still black because it can't handle the bigger resolution of the LCD, but opening and closing the Nvidia control panel fixes that on the spot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom