Windows 7 Create "System Reserved" partition on second D: drive.

ztplru

Extraordinary Member
Tried installing Lubuntu on my D: drive which contains only files, no OS! But when i selected this drive in the boot options got message "Bootmgr is missing".

Lubuntu gives the option to select which partition should contain the "Bootmgr", and i selected the same partition for the OS to be installed on.

I looked in Gparted and the C: drive containing windows has the boot manager in the "System Reserved" partition and the OS in the other partition.

Do i need to create a "System Reserved" partition on D: drive for the boot manager or a 100MB unallocated partition will do?

If it needs a "System Reserved" partition; how do i do it?

Am afraid of messing too much with the D: drive as i am on the process of buying a backup storage device to backup it's files!

That's a Windows only partition. Linux uses grub. It may be installed on your first disk.

That's a Windows only partition. Linux uses grub. It may be installed on your first disk.

By first disk you mean C?
I want to install in D in case i want to wipe out C.

What are Grub's requirements to boot itself from D?
Can Grub reside in the same partition where OS lives?

Last edited:
The letters are logical partition assignments they don't correspond to disks. Do you have two physical disks or are the C and D partitions on the same disk?

Back