Windows 10 Critical Error - Start menu is not working.....

wmglobal

Hi

I know this has been raised in the past but my system just started getting the:

"CRITICAL ERROR - Start menu has stopped working .........."

I know a lot of previous posts on this go back to last year and further but this has just started on my Win 10 system this month (March 2016). I've tried some of the more easier understood solutions but nothing seems to work. My Action Center has also stopped working now.

I have

Windows 10 Home Edition
Version 1511
OS Build 10586.164

Anybody have any solutions to this / these issues or know when Microsoft are going to come out with a fix?

Regards
wmglobal

Hi,
try some of the solutions offered in this link:
12 irritating Windows 10 installation issues, and how to fix them

If that fails to work try running these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Hi Kemical

Tried a few things I've seen on the Internet about this issue. I finally got so frustrated with things slowly deteriorating i.e. I couldn't even go into settings and change my UEFI settings to change boot order etc., as that option had disappeared from settings pages etc. Other things were starting to disappear or not function properly so I bit the bullet and did a complete reset, wiped everything and had Win 10 installed again. Things are progressing fine, got basically all my software back on again so will see how it goes.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Cheers

wmglobal

Your very welcome and I'm glad to hear your back up and running as per normal. Any problems post again.. :)

Back