Windows 7 Custom Taskbar Icons

I want to pin any item to my taskbar in win 7.

Like when i drag a folder,picture etc it pins itself to windows explorer. Is there a way for it to have its own icon and launch itself.

Can't be done. If you really want buttons for those things on your taskbar, you can use an old-school toolbar.

You can also override the Windows Explorer icon to point to a single different folder. Right-click the icon, right-click "Windows Explorer" on the jumplist, click Properties and the path for your folder after %windir%\explorer.exe.

I have Vista x64 Flip 3D icon that works in 7 and which I'd like to pin to the taskbar. How ? The above methods don't work. :rolleyes:

I have added Flip 3D shortcut to my quick launch. I tricked it by writing a short executable that send ctr-win-tab when you run it, then I did right mouse click and added it to the quick launch :

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Again, I did it with the shortcut of the executable that launches flip 3d. You can write it yourself, or if you trust me and if you check it with your antivirus to see it's clean, you can easily use it as I have. Link Removed due to 404 Error.

I have added Flip 3D shortcut to my quick launch. I tricked it by writing a short executable that send ctr-win-tab when you run it
Why so complicated ?

Make a new shortcut and enter:
RunDll32 DwmApi #105
Drag and drop this shortcut to the taskbar.

Actually you're right, and I know of the dwmapi, I just don't know how to assign the Flip 3D icon to this lnk, must be somewhere in system32 ?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

i would like to pin "computer" to the taskbar. how can i do this?
Right click an empty spot on the taskbar.
Mouse over "Toolbars" then click "New Toolbar".
In the next box click on "Computer" in the address bar.
This will write "Computer" in the folder box at the bottom.
Then click "Select Folder".

that is a cool idea, but that puts the expanded "computer" items across the toolbar, which takes up too much room. i just want the computer icon on the taskbar, that expands the computer window when clicked on.

that is a cool idea, but that puts the expanded "computer" items across the toolbar, which takes up too much room. i just want the computer icon on the taskbar, that expands the computer window when clicked on.
I unlocked the taskbar and then I slid it over next to the Notification Area. Then locked the taskbar again. I had to show 6 icons in the Notification Area in order for it to completely cover the A: Drive Icon though.

Last edited:
This is how to create and pin Flip 3D shortcut to taskbar:

1. Right-click on any empty space on the desktop, and then select New -> Shortcut.

2. In the “Type the location of the item” text box, enter the following:

%WinDir%\System32\rundll32.exe dwmapi #105

3. Click on Next button.

4. Enter a name for the shortcut, such as Flip 3D or Switches between windows.

5. Click on Finish button when done.

6. A Flip 3D will be created on the desktop. Note that the icon for the shortcut created is the default file icon, which is pretty much very ugly. To change the icon, right click on the icon, and then select Properties. Click on the Change Icon button in Shortcut tab. Click Browse button, and then paste the following into File name text box:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe

The windows switching icon is listed as one of the selection available. Highlight the icon and click OK to change the icon.

7. Drag and drop the Flip 3D shortcut to anywhere you like, including Windows 7 Taskbar or Quick Launch Bar.

Alternatively, to pin the Flip 3D (Windows Switching) shortcut to Windows 7 Taskbar, right click on the shortcut and select Pin to Taskbar.

Back