Windows 7 Default/Standard Gateway is not available

oskar19

The last couple of weeks I have had a consistent problem. My internet connection abruptly disappears.
A yellow triangle appears over my internet connection. I then run the troubleshooter and it it finish quickly.
It says that there was a problem with the Default/Standard Gateway.
The exact message is "Default/Standard Gateway is not available". This happends roughly two to
three times a day.
I have tried to search diffrent forums for solutions and so far I have; Downloaded
the latest drivers from Realteks website, removed the energy saving options, disabled
TCP IPV4/6 overload
(Link Removed due to 404 Error). ALTHOUGH without succes.

Im using Windows 7 Home Proffesional OEM 64 bit and a integrated NIC named "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.
Down below is some information generated through the troubleshooter.
Its in Swedish so if you need anything translated, give me a shout.
Im also attaching some screenshots of the troubleshooter: Link Removed due to 404 Error
Link Removed due to 404 Error

If you need any other logs etc. just give me a shout then aswell.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Information om drivrutin för nätverkskortet Anslutning till lokalt nätverk:

Beskrivning . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Tillverkare . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
Leverantör . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft
Version . . . . . . . . . . . : 7.2.1127.2008
INF-fil . . . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\netrtx64.inf
INF-filens datum . . . . . . . . : den 13 juli 2009 20:37:30
Avsnittsnamn . . . . . . . . . : RTL8168D.ndi
Maskinvaru-ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_10ec&dev_8168&rev_03
Instansstatusflaggor . . . . . : 0x180200a
Enhetshanterarens statuskod . . : 0
IfType . . . . . . . . . . . . : 6
Fysisk medietyp . . . . . . . . : 14

Last edited:
First of all, according to the information that you have provided (and that I can read and understand) you do not currently have the latest driver for your card.
You may need to go here and download this Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Driver7.0342010/12/22
Additionally, since we have seen some problems with Gig network adapters having problems autonegotiating speed and duplex with some routers, you may need to manually set the speed and duplex on the card to a fixed (static) setting, try 10Mbps/half, reboot and see if that increases the cards reliability.
Lastly, since the trouble shooter seems to be indicating the problem is with the "default/standard" gateway, which is your router, then perhaps you may want to check with the router manufacturer's website to determine if they have a recent (at least more recent) firmware update for your particular model, which may address any known issues with Windows 7.
Hope this helps and keep us posted.
Randy

The NIC is integrated, can you still manually set the speed?

I will look into the firmware this day :)

EDIT: The latest firmware version for my router was released in 2008, and I bought the router in 2009/late 2009.
Im therefore preasuming that it was delivered with the latest firmware, you think this is correct?

Last edited:
The NIC is integrated, can you still manually set the speed?

I will look into the firmware this day :)

EDIT: The latest firmware version for my router was released in 2008, and I bought the router in 2009/late 2009.
Im therefore preasuming that it was delivered with the latest firmware, you think this is correct?
Yes you can still set the speed and duplex on the NIC. The fact that it is integrated doesn't impact your ability to do this at all.
And it may or may not have the latest firmware pre-installed. I would think that somewhere within the web interface for the router you would be able to find and determine the present firmware revision number and determine/compare that to the revision that is available. I don't however expect that a 2008 revision would have anything specific for Windows 7 but generally speaking it's a good idea to have the latest installed in case there were any known issues, or hotfixes made available in a more recent update.

I don't however expect that a 2008 revision would have anything specific for Windows 7
Of course.
Here is the Bug Fixes stated in the update from 2008;

• Fixed: Router GUI crash when the block service name includes the "&" character.
  • Fixed: The service and policy name with special characters in QoS page will result in incorrect information.
  • Modify Router Status GUI to show Repeater status when router is configured in Base Station mode.
  • Fixed incorrect DHCP pool after enable / disable repeater mode with different IP address
  • Add to support QoS bandwidth control & application layer traffic identification.
  • Fixed UPnP daemon crash issue.
  • Fixed Microsoft online “Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool” failure issue
  • Fixed DNS relay issue: if DNS query to first DNS server failed, it will not query second DNS server
  • Fixed Remote Management range sometimes do not work
  • Fixed QoS/bandwidth control cannot work for fragmented packets.
  • Fixed LAN to LAN SIP phone issue. Fixed: Cannot disconnect SIP session after calling an virtual client.
  • Fixed: VPN passthrough issue with FVS114
Is there anything there who reminds of anything related to a problem of my kind?
And also, is there a guide on this forum to show how you manually set a static/duplex setting?

Well there's a couple QoS fixes, along with a UPnP fix and a DHCP issue, so I would say if it is not already applied then it might be worth while just from a seems like a good idea to me standpoint. However, since of course there is always some inherent risks with these types of firmware updates, the decision has to be yours, not mine. And please read the instructions from the router vendor for the do(s) and don't(s) regarding any such firmware flash process.
Did you download and extract the driver I linked to originally? Did you use device manager to force and update using that driver? Did you change the speed and duplex for the card?

I'll wait just abit about updating the firmware.

Yes I have and in the Device Manager this show

internet.JPG

I have now also changed the following settings:

• TCP checksum offload (IPv4) Disabled
  • Speed & Duplex to 100 Mbps Full duplex.
Will update ASAP

I didnt recieved any problems for nearly two days but then suddenly my connection dropped again.
For what i can read from the logs it appears to be the same problem as usual.

Do you got any more tips?

Back