Windows 8 Delete windows 8.1 account picture

sirloyne

Banned
It should be as easy as deleting the picture, but it's not... nothing is as easy as it should be in this train wreck. How do you delete an old account picture? I've tried just replacing it, but that turns into a whole puzzle you need to unravel first. If you pick the picture you want to replace, you would think that you would make it the big one of the 3, but you'd be wrong... that would make too much sense. If you hit browse and pick a new picture, the big one moves to the right and the new picture becomes the big one. Eventually you end up with 3 pictures and you get stuck in a sort of Rubic's Cube just trying to get the picture you want. This is some really bad software. Even the most die-hard M$ defenders have to know it, whether they want to admit it or not. So... how do you remove all the old pictures and only have the one you want?

Your account picture(s) is linked to your Microsoft ID.
Click the profile picture in the top right and select edit profile.
Select change picture and simply click the "Remove" button.

It should be as easy as deleting the picture, but it's not... nothing is as easy as it should be in this train wreck. How do you delete an old account picture? I've tried just replacing it, but that turns into a whole puzzle you need to unravel first. If you pick the picture you want to replace, you would think that you would make it the big one of the 3, but you'd be wrong... that would make too much sense. If you hit browse and pick a new picture, the big one moves to the right and the new picture becomes the big one. Eventually you end up with 3 pictures and you get stuck in a sort of Rubic's Cube just trying to get the picture you want. This is some really bad software. Even the most die-hard M$ defenders have to know it, whether they want to admit it or not. So... how do you remove all the old pictures and only have the one you want?

Did you do it this way?......................
Go to Charm bar ( windows logo + C ) > select Settings > select Change PC settings > right side, click Account picture > click Browse......
select the one you want, click it > the newly selected picture will appear to the right side of the original account picture > click the new one > the account picture will be changed to the new one you have selected.
That's it. You have a new account picture.

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

Your account picture(s) is linked to your Microsoft ID.
Click the profile picture in the top right and select edit profile.
Select change picture and simply click the "Remove" button.

I should mention that this is for a Local Account. I do not log into my computer with a M$ account. I don't have anything to do with that stupid "Metro" screen.

Did you do it this way?......................
Go to Charm bar ( windows logo + C ) > select Settings > select Change PC settings > right side, click Account picture > click Browse......
select the one you want, click it > the newly selected picture will appear to the right side of the original account picture > click the new one > the account picture will be changed to the new one you have selected.
That's it. You have a new account picture.

I know you're trying to help but all you said was everything I said. I want to delete 2 of the 3 pictures, not add more.

Oh joy another one of your posts calling stuff stupid. Odd how most of us can deal and work with it just fine. How and this is only an idea you use something different on YOUR machine.

Oh joy another one of your posts calling stuff stupid. Odd how most of us can deal and work with it just fine. How and this is only an idea you use something different on YOUR machine.

The fact that you accept and deal with horrible software that lets you do less and less is nothing to brag about.

2 things.

1. Tell me how to do it then.
2. Is that last sentence English?

The fact that you accept and deal with horrible software that lets you do less and less is nothing to brag about.
Personally, I've been accepting and dealing with horrible software since the very first time I ever turned on a computer.
Not bragging..... just basking in the glow.
And it doesn't start and stop with Microsoft or their Operating Systems.

Personally, I've been accepting and dealing with horrible software since the very first time I ever turned on a computer.
Not bragging..... just basking in the glow.
And it doesn't start and stop with Microsoft or their Operating Systems.

That is true enough. It seems like every company is on some sort of quest to out-bad each other.

First, try this location:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures
if that is not successful, you may have to delve deeper:

C:\users\ Username\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\TempState
You will need to have everything "unhidden" in the folders view.

You could have a look at what you have there, and see if you can delete those not required. Make a backup of everything, before you proceed.

Last edited:
First, try this location:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures
if that is not successful, you may have to delve deeper:

C:\users\ Username\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\TempState
You will need to have everything "unhidden" in the folders view.

You could have a look at what you have there, and see if you can delete those not required. Make a backup of everything, before you proceed.

Thanks for your help. I tried the first location and found all the pictures there. Some had duplicates, I assume that's because I had re-edited the picture and, despite naming it the same thing, it was added again. I deleted everything. The second location was empty. Even though I deleted all the pictures I still have an account picture. First I tried just logging off and then shutting down completely, but I still have a picture. I don’t mind, at least I’m down to the one I wanted, but how would you delete that last picture? M$ sure doesn’t make things easy. What do they want you to do, delete your account and make a new one... just to delete a picture?

Last edited:
Best way is to make an empty picture, and choose that as your default, then delete the other.
Later. Just a thought.

If you didn't delete it, you should still have the default empty one in the same folder. Otherwise, you can fetch one of the offerings from
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Default Account Pictures
But, reading the thread, you do, I'm afraid, need to have the featureless picture up, if you do not want to personalise it with your own choice. I don't know if there is a way to show the account bare.

Last edited:
Otherwise, you can fetch one of the offerings from
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Default Account Pictures

I was thinking that if I deleted all of my custom pictures then it would, by default, return to the default picture. As I said, this would make too much sense and be too easy. As the Zune folders indicate, Windows H8 was made for phones first and PC's were just an afterthought.

Again, thanks for helping me get down to the 1 picture I wanted. I saved the 18 steps involved in deleting it should I ever want a different one.

My pleasure. I am still trying hard to convince skeptics that 8/8.1 is a good program. I do target cynics like yourself - lol.

My pleasure. I am still trying hard to convince skeptics that 8/8.1 is a good program. I do target cynics like yourself - lol.

You can't convince me that Windows does anything but get worse year after year (but you're more than welcome to try). They make even the simplest things as difficult as they can. It's great that people, like yourself, like it but I think they're focusing more and more on the lowest common denominator. The Windows of today is geared towards e-mail, online shopping, Facebook and selling you "apps". For example, I have thousands of albums on my computer. I don't know it you saw my "Play All" thread, but this is my final reply in that thread.

"I have all of my music on it's own hard drive. It wasn't ripped by, or associated in anyway with Windows Media Player. I use Foobar. I don't use Apple products so the artwork for my music isn't embedded in every song. I use Cowon players, so the artwork is in the same folder as the songs and the artwork is simply named "cover" (w/o the quotes), this way it's displayed in both Cowon players and Foobar. This uses much less disc space than embedding the art. Long story short, not to sound like someone "stuck in the past" but with XP I just open the folder with the songs in it and click "Play All". I don't see having to open the folder, unhide the ribbon (because it's gigantic on a small monitor), highlight everything, hold Ctrl and unselect the artwork, click play and then click "Play All" as ANY kind of an improvement. Anyone who says they think this is better is lying through their teeth. Windows gets worse with every incarnation."

With respect! With that comment, and your general feeling towards Windows, and particularly the later editions, why do you persist and go to the extent of extending your complaints and problems to Windows forums?

I honestly feel you would be better staying with Windows 7 or earlier, or even using , say, Linux Mint, which is a really good alternative.

With respect! With that comment, and your general feeling towards Windows, and particularly the later editions, why do you persist and go to the extent of extending your complaints and problems to Windows forums?

I honestly feel you would be better staying with Windows 7 or earlier, or even using , say, Linux Mint, which is a really good alternative.

I don't install new versions of Windows with the sole intent of complaining about it. I installed Windows H8 on a computer I had sitting on a shelf to see if it was better with the .1 update. I admit I was a little disappointed to see the M$ thought what people were complaining about was the lack of a button that says "Start"... not the incredible usefulness and functionality of the menu it contained, but the word "Start", and the ability to change the color of the new Start screen. I came to this forum because I couldn't find the "Play All" button, and when you consider how much work they put into making it as inaccessible as possible, I can't be faulted for that. If M$ thinks we're so stupid that we can be placated with the option of bright colors, then the Play All button should have been made bigger... and bright pink, not changed from a simple click to a 6 step process. I assume their real plan was to make it so people would just sign in with a M$ account and use the Music "app" so that M$ could send us all commercials and adverts to buy things from their online store. Frankly, I thinks that's both a little sad and a little sleazy.

I have 3 other computers that all run XP. It's the last good OS M$ made. Linux isn't really an option for most people. Not because it's different or they're afraid of change, but because most people with computers have software, that they like or need, that requires Windows. And speaking of being "afraid of change", I think it's time people stop using that as an excuse to protect Windows H8. People are changing, aren't they? They're changing to Apple, Linux, Android, etc... Why? Because the latest offerings from M$ are terrible. If I wanted a "consumption device" I would have bought a stupid tablet, wouldn't I? Windows H8 was built solely as a consumption platform for a consumption device , that was ported, poorly mind you, to the PC. Why do I hate Windows H8? Look at the new and improved Play All for one example. I listen to a lot of music on my computer. If one OS makes doing that incredibly easy, and another one makes that incredibly difficult, does using the easy one make me afraid of change? Call me names... call me a Luddite if you want to, but I'm not afraid of changing... I just have no desire to go from something that works well to something that doesn't just because the colors are brighter. If Windows H8 was really that good, they wouldn't have pressured Ballmer to leave sooner rather than later, would they?

http://allthingsd.com/20130825/ball...as-more-sudden-than-portrayed-by-the-company/

Last edited:
Delete photos here (copy-paste this to your windows explorer and change user-name to yours):

C:\Users\
(user-name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures

Take it easy.

Cheers!

Edit:
Sorry, I didn't see davehc's post before posting this, but yeah, this one works for me too..
My apologies davehc.

No problem, my friend. It happens sometimes to me. Write a post that takes 3 or 4 minutes, and someone has horned in with the same answer, meanwhile!

Hi, I know this is a old thread but I have the same problem. I have deleted all the photos from my C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures. I put the default image in there from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Default Account Pictures, which is the one I want to use temporarily. The other folder mentioned is empty. I changed my online image to the default one but I still get the old image on my PC. This is fundamental stuff, it should be right click- delete or a "Remove Account Image" button. Any Ideas please guys.

Back