Windows 8 Delete windows 8.1 account picture

Hi, I know this is a old thread but I have the same problem. I have deleted all the photos from my C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures. I put the default image in there from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Default Account Pictures, which is the one I want to use temporarily. The other folder mentioned is empty. I changed my online image to the default one but I still get the old image on my PC. This is fundamental stuff, it should be right click- delete or a "Remove Account Image" button. Any Ideas please guys.

Go to account.live.com and change your account picture there. I just tested it and my pictures changed instantly on both my Win 8.1 PC and tablet.

mspic.jpg

Thanks for your suggestion Badrobot, it's much appreciated but I had already done that, it didn't work for me, I had the right image on the left hand side of the live page but the icon in the corner was still the old image. In the end I had to edit the image both online and locally and I'm still left with other images that I have never used as account pictures or wallpaper in the list when I change images. Windows seems to have borrowed random pics from my skydrive and "suggested" them. Odd. This is broken and needs fixing. If I wanted an OS with the bonnet [hood] welded shut I would buy a Mac ;)

Are you using local account or microsoft account? You need to login on your ms account on your pc.

Sent from my HTC One X using WindowsForum mobile app

Hi

I'm still running Windows 8, and I'm using a local account.
The less I connect with Microsoft when I use my computer the better as far as I'm concerned.

It sounds like once again Microsoft has made things harder to do.

All I have to do to change my account picture is go to PC Settings Personalize, Account Picture and hit Browse.
Whatever I pick appears as my new account picture.

ChangeAccountPicture_zps11c0e5a7.jpg

I don't know why they want to make things more complicated.

Mike

Found it, Windows 8.1, simply go to:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows
Right click on the picture you want deleted and select delete.
I don't know about anyone else but I'm starting to get used to Windows 8.1
Microsoft might be on the right track, Windows 8.1 is faster and intuitive.
You don't need to be a genius to use this OS.
PS: to see the pictures, you need to open the file location with the search bar; type account picture in the search bar and the file location will show. Open the file and you will see the pictures.
You cannot see the pictures if you try opening the file via the computer tab.
Hope this helps.

How to change your account picture back to its default:

1. Go to "This PC"
2. Click on "Windows C:"
3. Type in "Default Picture" in the search bar.
4. Click on "Default Account Pictures"
5. Click on the "View" tab and then the "Large icons" button
6. Copy the default account image named "user" to desktop.
7. Go to start screen.
8. Right click your profile picture located on top right corner of start screen.
9. Click "Change Account Picture"
10. Open "Browse" button
11. Look for the picture you just copied on to your desktop.
12. Select the picture.
13. Your account picture should be back to the default picture.

See how easy that was. And it only took 13 steps and 45 minutes worth of research.

Last edited:
Short version:
Open Explorer, unhide "hidden folders"
Go to "C:\ProgramData", search for user.png
Copy the user.png file to your desktop or more future proof, to "C:\Users\Public\Pictures"
Go back to the [user account settings] and change it from the location you put it.

Back