Windows 10 Deleted/Lost Outlook Folders/File

selien

Extraordinary Member
Not sure if I can post this here... but gonna try..

Yesterday while using Outlook 2013.

Using IMAP, I wanted to share my folders on my computer to another computer, these folders weren't on the IMAP server only locally.

I did abit of reading here and there on how to do this and one way to do it which I think I misunderstood asked me to add a file location
in the accounting settings under an option called "Root Folder Path".

Which I did, the moment I did this, all my folders in outlook disappeared, so I went back into the settings and reverted the "Root Folder Path"
option back to blank and my folders have not returned.

I restarted outlook and still no luck.

I then started looking for backup outlook files *.pst/*.ost to which I cant find anything, I've literately somehow lost over a gig of worked saved emails.

Is there any way to retrieve this now? There has to be a file somewhere which outlook deleted to create the new one right?

Last edited:
In Outlook 2013 local only data files will be a .PST and not an OST file. It will either be in %userprofile%\Documents\Outlook Files or %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. Outlook 2013 will also have an OST file, the default location for that is %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\*.OST

Thanks Neemobeer, I already checked those locations and theres no additional files data/outlook files, *.bak *.pst or *.ost.
The data file to my email account seems to have been replaced with a new one which is only 180mb (should have been 1.3gb) and theres no backup file in those locations

Does your e-mail provider provide web mail that you might be able to use to login and see if the folders are there?

Does your e-mail provider provide web mail that you might be able to use to login and see if the folders are there?
I do have access to webmail but the folders I created manually on my local pc and they were never synced to the server.
I think it has to be a local data file issue, however, I cant find a ost/pst file that has been renamed or saved as a backup.

I used easeus data recovery and did a scan for all pst/ost files and did find some old versions of my account which is about 1.2gb big, however when I recover them and try to use them in outlook, all it shows is approx 33,000 emails saying synchronizing error and doesn't replicate my folders or original emails.

as a suggestion, I recommend you to use a backup application to safeguard your Outlook emails.
here is a list:
Mail Backup X-> Download Free Trial of Mail Backup X for Mac / Windows
KLS Mail Backup-> KLS Mail Backup - Freeware Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, Firefox backup
Mail Store Home.-> MailStore Home – Free Email Archiving and Backup for Home Users

Prefer Mail Backup X, as it is the only tool that offers Automatic Backup.
the other two offer manual backup and might lead to deletion of emails since your last backup.

I do have access to webmail but the folders I created manually on my local pc and they were never synced to the server.
I think it has to be a local data file issue, however, I cant find a ost/pst file that has been renamed or saved as a backup.

I used easeus data recovery and did a scan for all pst/ost files and did find some old versions of my account which is about 1.2gb big, however when I recover them and try to use them in outlook, all it shows is approx 33,000 emails saying synchronizing error and doesn't replicate my folders or original emails.
Mails and system recovery tools are way too different. If your needs are just the emails, better not to touch a data recovery tool for recovering them. Okay, now that you have located the exact location of the old OST file. Use one of the tools, I mentioned to recover the mails from that location.

Back
Top Bottom