Windows 7 Dell latitude d810 - windows 7 ultimate installation guide

Ethel the Aardvark

This is an update to my original Driver Support page a few months ago. The RC version had a few issues but Microsoft have worked most out now.

This guide will detail the steps and drivers I have used to get my D810 running with Windows 7 Ultimate...

Firstly I wiped my Dell D810 (all except the DELL partition) by using the Win 7 Ultimate CD then did a Custom install as you cannot upgrade from XP Pro direct. Installation of OS was fine and took about 40 minutes including activation. Wifi worked fine staright away...

Auto Update picked out two drivers...
Bluetooth (I have a DELL BT350 module installed) and my display adapter (ATI Mobility X600).
Display Adapter:
Installed first from Windows Update...This worked ok and now I have upto 1920x1200 as I should have.
Bluetooth Adapter
Install the Windows driver from Win Update,
Next download the BT360 version from DELL (R231570.exe) & install it over the top.
Note:
Under XP I was able to turn on the BT without the Wifi but now they are linked. I can live with that. I can still turn off the BT but have the wifi on. (BT icon goes red)
DELL's Quick Set
Install Dell's R122667.exe then when install Dell's R130907.exe over the top. Giving you version 7.1.10.
Note:
Launching the application is okay. All works except compatibility issues with turning the NIC card off when on battery. However, Left click on the Notification Icon and the NIC options work as they should
Sound Driver
Install the original XP driver (DELL's R99254.exe). Installs fine.
Antivirus & Malware
Downloaded Avira (free version). I know this works and catches more than other freebee's out there incl..AVG, Panda etc...
Integrates into Win7 perfectly. Why would you wan to pay for av updates when they are free!

Finally rebooted and voila...Win 7 working perfectly.

Man I have this same laptop, mine does not have the bluetooth module tough...

I tried all the OSes you can imagine on it, and my final conclusion is:
This is a "made for XP only" laptop.

You can sure install other OSes on it, but none will work "complete" like XP does.

One thing I did on it for sometime, and it got me really satisfied, was to run Windows Server 2003 as Workstation on it, you should try this, as this gives you better performance :)

BTW, if you going to try the "Server-as-Workstation", be sure to use Standard Edition, because Enterprise one does does not support Infrared devices.

Back
Top Bottom