Windows 7 Windows 7 Ultimate install errors

farce

Ok. I know this is a known issue but I just need to find out for sure before I go spend money again...

I bought Windows 7 Ultimate which comes with the 32bit and 64bit dvd's. Right now I have the Windows 7 RC1 32bit installed but as we all know its gonna start acting up in March since it will start to expire.

As the computer boots up with the dvd in the drive, all works fine until it starts asking for the dvd drivers. Yes, my drive is IDE. Not SATA. Do I really have to go buy a SATA cabled dvd drive to install windows 7?

Second, is the fact that I have a 32 bit OS now, affecting the fact that it can't find the drivers? Is it because it's looking for 64 bit drivers when I have a 32 bit os now? I've already read up on this issue for the dvd drivers and it seems it was coming up alot even before the RTM versions and it seemed that redownloading an ISO was the solution aside from getting a SATA drive. But, I didn't download my copy. I have a real disc. I've already tried switching in the BIOS where my drive is set to RAID and moving it to IDE and then to the other option on there and no luck so far on getting it installed.

What can I do? Sorry to sound really dumb on here and I probably haven't looked hard enough on these forums for a solution but all I'm finding so far are people with this issue but they all have downloaded an ISO. Threads from RC1 and RTM timeframes. I have the actually product that I bought.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

(You should do clean installation, not upgrade}

Did you try installing drivers, do you have them available at your manufacturer's site?

You cannot do an upgrade over your current rc-1 nor can you do a 64 bit over a 32 bit.
You need to do a totally clean install
If you have upgrade disc please read the below
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Sorry forgot to include that. yes I have the drivers. My drive is an ATAPI dvd a dh16a1p. I haven't found the specific driver for it on the internet. Lots of cat and mouse on the internet finding the specific driver. I went and copied the drivers folder from my windows file to an external drive and use that to find the driver when it prompts on the install but it won't pick it up.

Also the install I'm doing is a clean install from the boot menu when the computer first starts up. I'm looking to see if I can find some drivers on the manufacturers website (gateway) but it only has options for BIOS downloads and HARD DRIVE downloads. nothing major that i can use there...: /

Last edited:
it's not an upgrade disc. it's a full install disc. i'm just having the issue of dvd drivers not found during the installation.

farce said:
My drive is IDE. Not SATA.

Since your DVD drive is IDE you might want to double check the jumper setting in BIOS. Set the jumper to "Master" and try installing 7 again.

just set the jumper to master and nothing. still the same error. here are some screens from what i'm getting.

This is the first screen that pops up.
2010-02-22103557.jpg

This is the second screen that pops up after I try to search where I put the drivers.

2010-02-22103614.jpg

farce said:
I'm looking to see if I can find some drivers on the manufacturers website (gateway) but it only has options for BIOS downloads and HARD DRIVE downloads. nothing major that i can use there...

Did you search your DVD-driver brand manufacturer's site, like Lite-On, ASUS, LG, Sony etc. ?

Just gave in and bought a sata drive for 12 bucks. installed within 20 minutes >.> hmmm....i'm not complaining lol...

Back