Windows 10 Denying delete permission to an user account in windows 10.

Abhay Bhatt

I've tried denying write permission in the Security tab, to the relevant user account, but still I am able to delete the file from that account. Any solutions?

Hi

Sometimes It's very hard to make a file or folder that your are the owner of so that it can't be deleted though, Windows seems to be able to do it to me when I don't want it to.

Try going to the folder or file and change the permissions by going to...

Properties, then the Security Tab, then Edit and changing the options all to Deny for each user shown...

The above does work for me, I just tried to make sure, either for files or folders.

If you find that it doesn't take a look at this...

Prevent Cut, Paste, Copy, Delete, Re-naming of files & folders

I haven't used this myself but apparently it will protect a file from any kind of changes, copying, or deletion.

Mike

Last edited:
IF you're talking about local Access (not over a network then group membership rights are going to get you everytime. IF the user account is member of a group (Administrators for instance) that has elevated privledges with respect to files and folders on the local machine then that will win out always as the least restrictive applies locally, while the opposite is the case of network access where the most restrictive applies.
Allow permissions are cumulative, which basically means the least restrictive permission becomes the effective permission.
SOURCE: http://www.techexams.net/technotes/70290/permissions.shtml

IF you have the time perhaps reading the article at that link will help you better understand

Write = Write data
Modify = write and delete. You can also go into advanced permissions and uncheck delete and 'delete subfolders and files'

If the account is a member of the administrators group you would need to remove administrators from having the delete permission. Windows will respect this even if you use elevated rights; however, a member of the administrators group can still take ownership of an file and give them self access.

Back
Top Bottom