Windows 8 Desktop folder thumbnails and video thumbnails are not showing

NerferMC

Since my computer is prone to Bluescreens (separate article), My Video thumbnails and some dektop folder thumbnails are not showing. I don't think if this is related to the bluescreen I'm saying.

It is very annoying and especially I cannot find my videos easily.

(note that the attached photo might be weird)

Attachments

• Capture 29.png
    Capture 29.png
    317.4 KB · Views: 456
Have you unselected/unmarked "Always show icons..." and restarted the computer to see if it helps?

Have you unselected/unmarked "Always show icons..." and restarted the computer to see if it helps?
Yes, it worked. The desktop folder icons is back...BUT the Video thumbnails still not showing. how can I fix that annoying problem?

What storage device do you use? When I had an HDD I experienced this problem all the time. I upgraded to an SSD and I haven't had that issue since.

What storage device do you use? When I had an HDD I experienced this problem all the time. I upgraded to an SSD and I haven't had that issue since.
This was just happened like few weeks ago...Every Video Thumbnails is not showing at all. I use HDD and I didn't have any problems at using it. I don't know why this happens. Thumbnails don't even show in Modern Windows 8 Video App.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1095).png
    Screenshot (1095).png
    78.9 KB · Views: 438
  • Screenshot (1096).png
    Screenshot (1096).png
    95.5 KB · Views: 428
  • Screenshot (1097).png
    Screenshot (1097).png
    201 KB · Views: 427
Since my computer is prone to Bluescreens (separate article), My Video thumbnails and some dektop folder thumbnails are not showing. I don't think if this is related to the bluescreen I'm saying.

It is very annoying and especially I cannot find my videos easily.

(note that the attached photo might be weird)
Also Windows Store icons, downloading apps from it is not even working at all. (with a good internet connection)
Also I did wsreset on admin command prompt and nothing really works

Attachments

• Screenshot (1098).png
    Screenshot (1098).png
    57.5 KB · Views: 425
  • Screenshot (1099).png
    Screenshot (1099).png
    57.7 KB · Views: 440
  • Screenshot (1101).png
    Screenshot (1101).png
    24.2 KB · Views: 423
I don't work on computers or anything otherwise I'd have better advice. As I said before, I had an issue like this but I upgraded to an SSD and that solved it.

Hit the windows button and search "File explorer options". Select View and make sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is not selected, it should look like mine: Screenshot
If not, you can select "Restore defaults"

I don't work on computers or anything otherwise I'd have better advice. As I said before, I had an issue like this but I upgraded to an SSD and that solved it.

Hit the windows button and search "File explorer options". Select View and make sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is not selected, it should look like mine: Screenshot
If not, you can select "Restore defaults"
I already did that...It was already unchecked but nothing really happens.

Attachments

• Capture 33.PNG
    Capture 33.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 432
I read through some other fixes online for this. This Link seems to have some nice solutions.

I believe thumbnails are stored in RAM, correct? This statement you made in a different thread made it seem like you don't have a lot installed in your system.
I installed a RAM last year (1 GB RAM) and I was having no problems at all.
How much do you have installed? If it's very little then maybe that could be the issue. (Like I said, I'm not a professional or anything, just trying to help and throw some ideas)

I read through some other fixes online for this. This Link seems to have some nice solutions.

I believe thumbnails are stored in RAM, correct? This statement you made in a different thread made it seem like you don't have a lot installed in your system.
I installed a RAM last year (1 GB RAM) and I was having no problems at all.
How much do you have installed? If it's very little then maybe that could be the issue. (Like I said, I'm not a professional or anything, just trying to help and throw some ideas)
I have 3GB of RAM, 220 GB of Hard Drive (HDD)

Yeah, that's not much ram at all.
That's almost how much windows needs at a minimum, and if you're also trying to run other programs in the background or video viewing applications, that's not much ram to go around. I'm not saying that's 100% your issue, but I'll let someone else validate that.

DDR3 (which is what I believe you have from snooping around on your old posts) is getting pretty cheap. It's never a bad idea to upgrade if you wanted.

I should mention that the most ram you can have in a 32bit system is 4Gb. If you are using a 64bit system then yeah, no harm in upgrading that.

Also Windows Store icons, downloading apps from it is not even working at all. (with a good internet connection)
Also I did wsreset on admin command prompt and nothing really works

Please boot into Safe Mode and run the following command as administrator to check the file system for errors:
Code:
sfc /scannow

watch this video to boot into Safe Mode:

Last edited:
Yeah, that's not much ram at all.
That's almost how much windows needs at a minimum, and if you're also trying to run other programs in the background or video viewing applications, that's not much ram to go around. I'm not saying that's 100% your issue, but I'll let someone else validate that.

DDR3 (which is what I believe you have from snooping around on your old posts) is getting pretty cheap. It's never a bad idea to upgrade if you wanted.
I dont think if that's the real reason because Since I upgraded my RAM from 2GB to 3GB, I have no problems at all. When the bluescreens started, Thumbnails for videos started to not work. (and since my RAM is 2GB, Still having no problems at all even in thumbnails or anything)

Back