Windows 7 "Device not Recognized" camera on USB

sargan

Extraordinary Member
PC Windows 7 64 bit ....

Trying to connect a new camera (Canon G16) via USB lead into PC

When I plug camera into PC ... get "USB device not recognized" when I click on error msg (Windows) shows as 'unknown device' resolution offered is that it asks me to install driver for device, which I don't have.
Canon confirm no driver required, built into Windows 7

In Device Manger it shows as 'unknown device' with yellow exclamation mark - usually means no driver
Camera and lead work fine if I plug them into a W7 64 bit Laptop.
Also tried multiple known good ports on my PC .. all give same error.

In case it helps - when plugged camera back into Laptop - it loads following drivers:

Driver_zpsdb0681d3.jpg

I tried dropping that WPdMtpDR.dll into C:\windows\sysWOW64 folder and camera was detected and all worked ... until reboot when it once more went into Device not Recognized ...
Tried removing all USB drivers with DriveCleanup.exe and executed from elevated cmd prompt .... still get Device not Recognized .

any suggestions ?

If you manually search for your camera in the device list, can you find it? Have you tried downloading the driver from the Canon web site and installing it? Installing a driver does more than just copy files to the right directory, it registers associations.

Canon state there is no no driver I can downland, they say that W7 has the driver built in and will load it once camera is recognized on USB port

If that doesn't solve your problem, I would try one of these:
  • Manually search for your camera in the device list (the list of all devices for which Windows has drivers on file). If it is there, install it that way. That should force an association.

• The Microsoft System File Checker restores corrupted system files. I don't know whether that includes device drivers but it can't hurt to run it. From the start menu's search window or Run window, type in sfc /scannow.

Back