Windows 7 Devices and Printers Issue

Spartacus

My problem is pretty simple but, the solution may not be.
Whenever I click on/search/attempt to open devices and printers it will not open the window for it, nor does it display any error messages. Everything else appears to be running optimally, and all devices that I do connect will still allow me to view/install etc. no problem. I just recently noticed it and can't recall installing anything that would have caused it. Any notion as to why it is doing this? Let me know if you need any information that would help, *windows is up to date and has been scanned for potential viruses*. Thanks!

Try this:

Click Start button, type "services" into the search program and files box. This brings up a list in the menu, select Services. This should open a list of local services on your system.., Find 'Bluetooth Service" and make sure it has started, right click and set to 'automatic'.

Is your computer on a network?
I would suggest you to remove any of the external devices connected to the computer except basic hardware like keyboard, mouse and monitor. Then check if you are able to open the devices and printers option.

Also, I would suggest you to perform a SFC scan and check – To Perform a SFC Scan -
1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'. Be patient because the scan may take some time
3. If any files require a replace SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Win7 DVD for this process to continue
4. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

5. After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check.
Check the below mentioned link for further guidance on SFC scan -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
For printer you may use the Printer troubleshooter when the printer is connected and check if it lists any errors- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Printer-troubleshooter

Last edited:
Removed all devices with the exception of the keyboard/mouse to no avail.
Yes, my computer is on a basic network, gigabit switch -> wireless router->modem.
My printer is network based, I'm using print to mac address method to do so.

I ran the sfc scan, it says it found corrupt files but, was unable to fix them.
I dug through the log file and looks like one of the 6 corrupted "unfixable" files is DeviceCenter.dll. So looks like that is the root of the problem.

Found: {l:32 b:HX0eOQOErr6Ilwo9DYJdq+SgOjMjlfZ9qLqHOIUq5hg=} Expected: {l:32 b:Dd00LrzC7i0CP/bpSi2ygipcw4x0epImslO/mfi89jk=}
2010-11-20 15:19:30, Info CSI 00000322 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:32{16}]"DeviceCenter.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-DeviceCenter, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2010-11-20 15:19:32, Info CSI 00000323 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-naturallanguage6_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_f9cfc5e1446cdbd4\NlsLexicons004c.dll do not match actual file [l:38{19}]"NlsLexicons004c.dll" :
I checked out the windows fix/replacement method, but where am I supposed to get the replacement of the good copy of the corrupted ones? I have a work comp with windows 7 but, its at work.

Last edited:
DeviceCenter.dll is statically linked to the following files:
msvcrt.dll
ADVAPI32.dll
GDI32.dll
KERNEL32.dll
ntdll.dll
ole32.dll
OLEAUT32.dll
SHELL32.dll
SHLWAPI.dll
PROPSYS.dll
USER32.dll
COMCTL32.dll
DUI70.dll This means that when DeviceCenter.dll is loaded, the above files are automatically loaded too. If one of these files is corrupted or missing, DeviceCenter.dll won't be loaded.

Solutions:

1. You can do system restore to a time before the problem started.
2. You can do a repair install of Windows: Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

You need to run the scans with admin privileges in order to fix them:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

I did run the scans with admin privileges actually, it still gave me the errors.
I don't remember when the issue started, and I don't use system restore due to lack of space on my SSD's.
I'll give the repair install a chance, I'm gonna do a more recent backup before hand though.
It's a minor issue just kind of annoying not being able to see the devices.
I'll do a clean install in the coming months anyhow, I plan on buying one of the new Intel 25nm SSD's when they are relased at the end of this quarter or Q1 of next year, I use the OEM OS so I have to clear off the old OS to be legal anyhow.
I appreciate your help though, the sfc is a new tool to add to my own arsenal of fixes. Thanks again!

are you using Microsoft Security Essentials 2 as your antivirus program?
If so try this

are you running version 2 of Microsoft Security Essentials?
if so try this

In Settings/Real Time Protection and UNCHECK- Enable Network Inspection System, click SAVE and close the program. Reboot the machine and try to open Devices and Printers and see if it works now . I had this problem and found out that it was MSE that was causing it. Once i followed this I I was able to open Devices and Printers and everything is back to being there.

robin

Back