Windows Vista Did a clean install, no desktop, nothing on regular; safe mode works

azurenight

What's going here? When Windows 7 loads in normal mode, there is no desktop, no icons, no cursor, nothing except a blue background with the Windows logo. I can press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and I get a black screen; pressing enter or esc will bring it back to the previous state. What the hell? Safe mode works fine by the way. I have no idea what the problem might be. Also...during the installation I had REALLY long waiting periods of a black screen until I was able to put in my info, serial, etc.

What do I do? I've already installed it twice and I keep getting the same thing.

Need the full stats on your system to give you a recommendation. You can fill this out in your profile under Settings or just post it here. Can't tell you what it might be without more information. Sounds like hard drive off-hand, or bad video compatibility drivers. Need full info for people to help you.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60ghz
2 gb of ram
NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GTX

What else do you need to know?

I believe it should be the Aero issue, means graphics driver. I believe, in Safe mode, the basic theme is selected and that is the reason u r able to see the desktop.

In regular mode, hit ctrl+alt+del and bring up Task manager. If it works, then goto new process and start explorer.exe

If this doesnt work, then try to do a repair install.

During startup, hit F8 and select last known good configuration and check.
Is your video card inbuilt?

No lol the Geforce 9800gtx is not inbuilt. It's a big piece of hardware and a quality video card. Last known good config doesn't work because there is no last good config...it hasn't been working properly since install.

lolz..Remove the card and boot your computer with inbuilt VGA and check. If it works, then Nvidia is the culprit.
Note:If you have disbaled inbuilt VGA in BIOS, enable it.

Back