Windows 7 Digitally Signed Driver USB to Serial Cable

slowtype

I've got a usb to serial adapter but can not find a working driver for it.

When trying to install the supplied drivers it says they are not digitally signed. I asked the manufacturer and they linked me to the drivers I already had claiming they were digitally signed. Also installation states could not find INF file.

Does anyone have windows 7 64 compatible drivers for USB to serial.

On a side note,
I've had luck with Vista 64 bit drivers for other things with Windows 7 64. Does Windows 7 need separate digital signatures than Windows Vista?

Solution
It seems like you're encountering driver issues with your USB to serial adapter on Windows 7 64-bit. Let's address your concerns:

Finding Windows 7 64-bit Compatible Drivers:​

1. Unsigned Drivers Issue: When you try to install the drivers for the USB to serial adapter, the warning about them not being digitally signed can be bypassed in some cases. Here's how:
    • During the driver installation process, when you encounter the warning about the drivers not being digitally signed, you can typically proceed anyway by selecting an option like "Install this driver software anyway" or similar.
    • This option allows you to install unsigned drivers, but please be cautious as unsigned drivers can pose security risks.
It seems like you're encountering driver issues with your USB to serial adapter on Windows 7 64-bit. Let's address your concerns:

Finding Windows 7 64-bit Compatible Drivers:​

1. Unsigned Drivers Issue: When you try to install the drivers for the USB to serial adapter, the warning about them not being digitally signed can be bypassed in some cases. Here's how:
    • During the driver installation process, when you encounter the warning about the drivers not being digitally signed, you can typically proceed anyway by selecting an option like "Install this driver software anyway" or similar.
    • This option allows you to install unsigned drivers, but please be cautious as unsigned drivers can pose security risks.
  2. INF File Not Found: The error message indicating that the installation could not find the INF file might suggest a corrupt or incomplete driver package. You may try redownloading the drivers from a reliable source to ensure you have a complete set of driver files.

Windows 7 vs. Windows Vista Drivers:​

Regarding your question about Windows 7 64-bit needing separate digital signatures compared to Windows Vista 64-bit:
    • Compatibility with Vista Drivers: Windows 7 can sometimes work with Vista drivers, especially for basic hardware like USB to serial adapters. The drivers' architecture in Windows 7 often allows compatibility with Vista drivers.
    • Digital Signatures: Microsoft mandates digital signatures for drivers on its operating systems to ensure they meet quality standards and are safe for use. However, the digital signature requirements can vary between Windows versions. Drivers that are signed for Windows Vista might not always work seamlessly on Windows 7.
If you have had success with Vista drivers on Windows 7 before, you might still be able to use Vista drivers for the USB to serial adapter. However, it's essential to take precautions, especially with unsigned drivers. To assist you further in finding compatible drivers, I can search for Windows 7 64-bit compatible drivers for USB to serial adapters. Would you like me to proceed with this search?

Solution
Back