Windows 7 Disappearing program icons

hummer7

I am installing programs to a new Win7 computer.
Today, I uninstalled winrar program.
When it is uninstalled, three program icons (e.g., total commander, texpad, and True Image ) became the same plain icon. I created their shortcuts from their program folders (I see the icons in their program folder) but when shortcuts are on desktop, they lost icons. I am wondering what is going on. Because of that, I am afraid of uninstalling any programs. Windows 7 seems to be weird. Any suggestion would be appreciated. hummer

Re: Icons

I have experienced a similar phenomenon. Not just on an unistall, but shortly after installation, two of my desktop icons became generic. They were also generic in the start menu and even in the actual program files folder. I tried re-installing, but they stayed generic. However, they magically came back in a day or two. Beats me why this happens. Try being patient.

Gordon

I have a likewise problem, one of my HD icons has left the building. :)

How can i get it back?

It was a bit strange from the get go, i think it was because i had the whole disc shared in my network.
The icon hade 2 monitors with an arrow pointing to both monitors.

Please can someone tell me how to get my icon back :) It looks terrible. :)

ToddeSwe

Reset the iconcache with this small .bat file you have to create - it will clear all broken icon links!

taskkill /im explorer.exe /f
CD %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local
attrib -h iconcache.db
del iconcache.db
explorer.exe

Nope it did not work, did it twice to be sure i did not miss anything. Still got the uggly icon.
I will try disconnecting the drive and start the system up, then connect it again and start the system.

ToddeSwe

Which icons have changed?

Have you tried running the system file checker? If not, right-click on command prompt and run as admin'. Then type:

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. If it finds anything amiss it will attempt to repair.

Disappearing program icons
I am installing programs to a new Win7 computer.
Today, I uninstalled winrar program.
When it is uninstalled, three program icons (e.g., total commander, texpad, and True Image ) became the same plain icon. I created their shortcuts from their program folders (I see the icons in their program folder) but when shortcuts are on desktop, they lost icons. I am wondering what is going on. Because of that, I am afraid of uninstalling any programs. Windows 7 seems to be weird. Any suggestion would be appreciated. hummer

If nothing of the suggested has worked for you, then:

1. On your desktop, right-click > context menu > choose Refresh
2. Right-click on a shortcut with the blank icon > Properties > Shorttcut > Change Icon > Browse and choose the icon > Proceed to 1.

Have you tried running the system file checker? If not, right-click on command prompt and run as admin'. Then type:

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. If it finds anything amiss it will attempt to repair.

Yes that was the first thing i did when i noticed this problem. But without any errors at all.

ToddeSwe

If nothing of the suggested has worked for you, then:

1. On your desktop, right-click > context menu > choose Refresh
2. Right-click on a shortcut with the blank icon > Properties > Shorttcut > Change Icon > Browse and choose the icon > Proceed to 1.

It's not a shortcut it is the device icon for my D: Hardrive.
So i can't follow this procedure because i have no harddrive icon on my desktop.
Was looking for the change icon option but i can't find it anywhere.

Now i will remove the hd and restart my system as i said before, let's see if that helps.

And thank you all for your interest in my small silly problem. :)

ToddeSwe

No i have more info about this:

I learned that it was not the device i thought it was, it is a partion where i stored a filetransfer from my laptop.
And yesterday when this hd partion icon was missing i had just removed the stored filetransfer files and folders.

Now i'm moving everything on this device/partion to another device and then i will format it and then it must work. :)

ToddeSwe

EDITED: Yes it worked :)

Thanks guys for all help!

Back
Top Bottom