Windows 7 display driver stopped responding

triforce

hey, I sometimes get the error when opening up videos

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernal Mode Driver, Version 185.81 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

my screen would either:

1) flash black than return with that message on the taskbar
2) BSOD

I havent had this problem before with Windows XP or Vista - I've done a fresh install, Microsoft updated, open a video. ^

It doesnt happen always, its like a 80% chance :x and if it doesnt BSOD, if I reopen the video I dont get the message anymore for awhile.

I've tried everything, reinstalled Windows 7 NVIDIA drivers, and tried the vista ones - no go.

Windows 7 Build 7100

Processor: Intel Core Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00GB (3.50 GB usable)
System type: 32-bit Operating System
Graphics Card: NVIDIA 9800gt

Any help would be great

Last edited:
Yeah I tried the windows update drivers and the ones on NVIDIA site, just doesnt work

I found this error in Event viewer when it screen blacks out and returns

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

and when it BSOD's I get some critcal error that reports a bugcheck or something, ill post back when it BSOD's me again (reformatted) the message

You stated it's a Windows Kernel driver.

You need to locate the WDM. MS WHQL Certificate

Didn't you get a notice from Windows Update that a new driver was available for your card?

Make sure Windows Update is set to include recommended updates also.

try this link:

http://www.google.com/search?q=NVID...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Depending on your chipset, it might be a ggod idea to go to Intel's site and get the latest chipset update (of course you need a Intel chipset)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm having the same problem on my laptop but the driver "stops responding" when I'm away from my computer for a couple minutes. It's like win7 turns off the driver once its been a few minutes.

Hey, I'm living in Vietnam of Asia, i have problem with Display in Win 7

Can you help me, :frown:
Because I playing game then have this Problem continune.
in photo attach
Thanks regards

Flash your BIOS

The solution that finally worked for me was flashing my BIOS. I had this problem on Windows 7 64 bit with both an ATI and Nvidia card. My video performance increased slightly as well. My motherboard is a Gigabyte S-series EP35-DS3R and the afflicted video cards are an ATI Radeon HD 5750 and Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT.

Re: Flash your BIOS

The solution that finally worked for me was flashing my BIOS. I had this problem on Windows 7 64 bit with both an ATI and Nvidia card. My video performance increased slightly as well. My motherboard is a Gigabyte S-series EP35-DS3R and the afflicted video cards are an ATI Radeon HD 5750 and Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT.

Have same problems and same MB, just card is ATI HD4850. Where did u get the VBIOS update ? I want it also, desperate here :p

Hi guys! I solved problem, at least for my video card. The problem is that video card has too less voltage. Of course be careful with this. Somewhere I read that video card doesn't work good with RAM. I don't know technical problems. I raised default voltage from 1.035 to 1.062 and everything is working!! Be careful - max voltage is 1.087 (I read somewhere) - you can kill video card. Good Luck!

Back