Windows 7 DNS server not responding. Differs from other thds

Roger 1

Ok, after 4 days of research and much head scratching, I will enter the fray. I think that my problem is in my router after reading everything I can find on the net. I'm getting the error ' DNS server not responding' but have followed suggestions from this site and others to resolve the problem. I ran into a problem with my router, and had to do a hard reset to factory defaults. After I had restored info provided by my ISP for settings required by them, I have network connectivity and I have Internet, but the two will not connect. I can ping my router from the network, but cannot connect to the Internet. I know just enough about networking to be dangerous to my self. Unfortunately for me this is my business network, and it is vital that i have internet. Settings for ipconfig all and router WAN and LAN settings are as follows:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 420
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 448
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 412
First confirm that you can ping both your DNS server addresses that you have configured according to your ip configuration
ping 207.14.235.234
ping 67.238.98.162
What are the results?
Second open a browser windows and in the address (URL) bar (not search bar) type
hit enter. What is the result?
And third Try this,
Open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
and hit enter
examine the information pertinent to the problem adapter, specifically the value called "Physical Address) write it down and remove the dashes / hyphens (-). That should leave you with a 12 digit hex value.
Now type
ncpa.cpl
into the search or run box and hit enter
Select then right click the problem network adapter and choose properties
Click the "Configure" button near the top
Select the "Advanced" tab
In the left column (Property: ) select Network Address
In the right column (Value: ) Select the radio button next to the text box that will allow you to enter your MAC address and enter the 12 digit hex value you have determine is correct above
OK your way back out of there and reboot the computer.
See if that helps resolve the issue and post back with any updates. NOTE: According to what I see your specific hex number should be 8C89A5663E21, double check and confirm.
And give this a try also and see if it helps.
type
ncpa.cpl
into the search or run box and hit enter
Select then right click the problem network adapter and choose properties
Click the "Configure" button near the top
Select the "Advanced" tab
In the left column (Property: ) select Link Speed and Duplex (might just say speed and duplex)
In the right column (Value: ) select the drop down arrow and choose
10Mbps Half Duplex
OK your way back out of there and reboot the computer.
See if that helps resolve the issue and post back with any updates.
Finally you have reserved 192.168.1.2 can you explain what or which network node is using that particular IP address (server, printer, etc.)

Cannot ping either DNS server address. ( timed out )

The MAC address in your reply same as what was in current ipconfig /all There was no MAC address in " values " box
Entered current address from ipconfig /all, backed out,rebooted. No change

Changed " speed and duplex " to 10Mbs half duplex, backed out, rebooted, no change.

Browser address bar: " 74.125.225.179 " Connection timed out.

IP reserved for internal usage:
? As far as I know, some default value entered by router.

Also, I'm using MSE for anti-virus, so obviously McAfee isn't an issue.

Last edited:
I have network connectivity and I have Internet, but the two will not connect.
Can you clarify that statement.
I understand the "I have network connectivity" in that you say you can ping the inside edge of your router.
But I do not understand the "and I have Internet" as you cannot seem to ping your own DNS servers, nor would I assume you can ping 74.125.225.179 as the browser is timing out without any need for DNS resolution that IP address should go straight to Google.
Have you tried setting the properties of IPv4 in the properties of your network adapter to automatically obtain in both frames (IP and DNS) typically I would expect to see your default gateway / DHCP server address to also be your DNS server address rather than what would seem to be the DNS servers of your ISP.
Since I can ping both your current DNS servers from here without issue as well as the outside edge of your router 64.45.249.162, my thoughts are that the issue is with your router.
If you circumvent the router by plugging in your computer directly to your ISP provided device (modem / eMTA) will the problem PC connect without issue?

Additionally consider checking here Download Software - Cisco Systems
for any firmware updates specific to your particular router.
As you can see there are two different options for downloads for the WRVS4400N router.... so you'll need to know your version number (v1.0, v1.1 or v2.0)

I mean that the Internet light on router says that I have Internet. I have contacted my ISP, and from their end everything appears to be working. I have t-1 connection thru an Adtran. Can I plug network jumper directly from the pc nic to Adtran, bypassing router totally?

I would assume, that whatever you are currently plugging into the wireless router's WAN port, that you would be able to plug that into the NIC on you PC instead. You can of course confirm with your provider, but there are a lot of folks who never bother to use the router solution as they only have a single PC. You may have to configure the properties of the connection as per your provider's instructions but it should work. And hopefully provide a brief test as to whether the issue is actually the router.
With that test out of the way you can concentrate on the Cisco / Linksys router's configuration maybe contact their tech support to see if they have a solution at hand.

Back