Windows 10 "documents" folder missing

PoyntingVector

Hi all,
I have 2 drives, an SSD and a hard drive.

Windows is installed on my SSD, but I moved my documents folder to my hard drive in order to save space on my SSD.
This worked fine, but my hard drive is showing problems and I wanted to move my documents back to my SSD in preparation for when I replace my hard drive.

The problem is, I can't find my documents folder on my hard drive ( I do have all the sub folders with the different files that were supposed to be in it just not the main folder)
Is there a way to create a new documents folder and have it as the default folder (preferably with the special documents icon)?

Thanks in advance,
PoyntingVector

Right click on your "Documents" folder and select Properties. Select the location tab and enter the new location.

It should just create the directory
But how, there is no documents folder and if I go to properties on any other folder on my hard drive (drive D) there is not tab for location (see image attached)
1564430099179.png

There are option for location on the folders in my SSD that were created with the installation of windows.
This is the same place where my documents folder originally was and where I moved it using the location tab to the hard drive.
The problem is that this documents folder just disappeared after moving.
1564430346169.png

This is my SSD when I go to users>me. There is a Documents folder here that I created myself, but normally there would be one with this or a similar icon.
1564430416019.png

This is the one I moved to my hard drive and disappeared.

Now to be clear, I don't really care about the icon, I'm using it here to illustrate the problem. What I want is to get the original folder back and to have that as the default folder for all documents. The same folder that disappeared when I moved it form me SSD to the hard drive.

I hope I don't come across as aggressive, because that is not my intention I just get the impression that you don't fully understand my problem.

AI ask Neen and hox rong plase ask Sorry wen maind ran to fast and hans go after . Take righside in muose file and mouv other plases.
is it possible? or the sensitive ones and move them to the position you want.

Last edited:
Ahh duh. Open a powershell prompt and type
New-Item -Path "$($ENV:USERPROFILE)\Documents.{A8CDFF1C-4878-43be-B5FD-F8091C1C60D0}" -ItemType Directory

Itel is this translator's use of different languages when I read translated english just ashamed of that language form.
NEEM THAKS.

Ahh duh. Open a powershell prompt and type
New-Item -Path "$($ENV:USERPROFILE)\Documents.{A8CDFF1C-4878-43be-B5FD-F8091C1C60D0}" -ItemType Directory
This just creates a shortcut to my D drive, but I wanted to have to files moved to the C drive.
If I disconnect my D drive and press the new folder it just gives me an error message telling me that the directory is unavailable (indicating that the files are still stored in the D drive).

Is there a way for me to turn this shortcut to my D drive into its own folder on my C drive?

That is the special shortcut to the documents folder. You should be able to edit it's location

That is the special shortcut to the documents folder. You should be able to edit it's location
Ok, I don't know what I did, but I didn't do it right.
First of my user profile/folder does not show up anymore in "C:\Users", which is not a problem as I can access it by manually typing "C:\Users\me" in the address bar.
In the folder there is the new shortcut, but here I can't change it's location in properties, for that I have to go to "this PC".

Here I can change it, but when I press the default button it paths to C:\Users\me\Documents. Tells me that this folder does not exist and if I want to create it. I say yes, then it asks me if I want to move all my files, once again I say yes only to get this error message.
1564510225431.png

I hope I'm not getting on your nerve with my incompetence.

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your problem?
Can't you just Right-click on the drive you want the folder on in Windows Explorer "C:\" and select "New" "Folder" Create a folder and Copy all your subfolders back into it? Name it anything you want and make the Icon whatever you want.

Leave the subfolders on D:\ as a precaution until you want to delete them.
If you want it to show in Quick Access you can pin it there too.

Mike

Last edited:
The documents folder isn't a normal folder so it needs the GUID appended to the folder name

• Step 1: Recreate My Documents folder in Explorer.
  • Step 2: Reset the Registry User Folder Settings.
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.
  • Step 3: Fix or Recreate the Documents folder.

People are treating others as if they are dumb. And they themselves dont understand the question. this happens to users ALL THE TIME. THE FOLDER IS JUST NO LONGER THERE PLAIN AND SIMPLE, no matter the drive, location anything. No one wants the contents back, they just want the darn folder back in their admin files, like my music, my videos, my desktop etc, my documents or documents is JUST NOT THERE. If you just simply create the documetns folder it nolonger has location or any other important features to it. Does this make more sense to anyone? There is a page im trying to find it and its just a one click program that reinstalls the documents folder as if it was a brand new install on c://user/administrator/documents. Then its there and all the fuctionality like move to a new location, ie within Onedrive etc is right there. Thats the issue at hand. And people are belittling the person asking when they are not a PRO and asking pros for help and you treat him/her like an IDIOT when you come off as one yoruself treating someone like that. The audacity and narcissisim it takes to self promote your own knowledge to make yourself so intelligent that these feeble questions are below you attitude is sickening to see when someone truly reaches out for help and WINDOWSFORUM belittles you for asking. i went through this 3 to 4 times in a year and I found the fix, am struggling now with it and cant find the page I thought i bookmarked that i couild just click andf BAMM its right there again, but dont ask anyone here, they'll make you feel DUMB as ROCKS!!! Patchetic to see such behavior.

Once I find the solution I will post it, and help as a tech geek it annoys me when I cant find a solution I've fixed a problem with before but worse in annoyance is the know it alls that belittle you for asking on a forum designed to help each other navigation iissues, problems, and features of windows etc, but they big brains on the some on here really swelled their heads beyond belief reading some of the down talking to people for asking such "DUMB" (In their eyes) questions posed.

Back
Top Bottom