Windows 8 Does any one know of a tv tuner that has ...

brkkab

Excellent Member
Does anyone know of a tv tuner that has hdmi input, so you can connect a cable box or satellite box to it to get true hd channels ? All, I've seen are one's with analog cable or cable card input.

Unless I misunderstand the HDMI signal has already been processed so it is not a tuner that's required, rather an HDMI IN port on the pc.

No Pat....to use your Sat/Cable box with your PC you you need a TV tuner card. This captures and process's the signal for the PC. Then you can use WMC (or some 3rd party software) to view TV on your PC, once you set up WMC to scan for channels like you would on a regular TV. Works pretty damned good.

I had an HP m8300f (my last retail purchase) that had this setup...it even came with a remote.

I'll have to research that (cos I still don't understand) - I imagined it would just be an hdmi output from the sat receiver which had already done the job of selecting the channel, decoded the signal and transferred it to the pc via an hdmi cable to an hdmi input socket. (I'm just a simple little soul).

(I'm just a simple little soul).

LMAO...aren't we all.

The only way to get a TV signal to a PC, cable, SAT or over the air, a PC has to have a TV tuner card. Same thing with TV, VCR, Cable/SAT boxes....they have built in tuners.

I get that bit - but isn't the satellite receiver the device which is the tuner and processes the OTA signal and outputs the hdmi which then needs only a device to receive the hdmi video and audio information, not a tuner as that stage was completed by the satellite receiver?

My apologies for interjecting with my debating the side issue - I'm afraid I get like a dog with a bone when there's something I don't quite follow!

pat You need a tv tuner in your pc for Windows or 3rd party software to be able to play your cable, satellite or AT&T U-verse tv. I've currently got a Hauppage WinTV HVR-1850 tuner in my pc. It worked with cable tv (before the anolog to digital switch that occurred a few month's ago). I just switched from Bright House cable, due to not wanting anything to do with Comcast. They're taking over Bright House sometime in 2015. I have a sister-in-law that works for Comcast and I've heard nothing but bad thing's about them. I just got DIRECTV last week. Their boxes only have analog cable & hdmi output on them. In order to get hdtv you need to use the hdmi output on the box to the tv tuner on your pc. Usually the tv tuners, also have their own software for atleast tv viewing, too. Hauppage uses software called WinTV, it doesn't have dvr in like Windows Media Center. I haven't tried it in about 1 1/2 year's so it may have changed. Either way you need some sort of tv tuner card to get tv on your pc.

Back