Windows XP Does anyone plan on dropping XP?

Actually I do use Mint 16 for bill paying & most all transactions. Plus I also have to keep it updated for my wife.

There are some really good Linux based OS's out there that's excellent for daily users, with a nice GUI, more options than ever, even a near drop-in replacement for MS Office in Libre Office.

Too, it can be used to retrieve files from a toasted Windows install, or in some cases, repair it.

Until the Windows 8 previews came along, I was running Mint practically all of the time, maybe booting into Windows 7 to update it & it's installed apps, the single XP install I neglected for half a year. Probably should have left that one as such, I have too many other things to do than to be playing with a nearly 13 year old OS.

The main reason that I keep that one up, is that I have a couple of relatives, it seems that every time they drop in, they need to check their email or the game scores. I don't let no one use my main 2 computers but me, when it's shut down, a password is needed for BIOS to post. Another I have setup for my wife.

I'm not keeping XP at all after April.

Cat

Hey, it's you! You know which one I like, Mint 16! Very user friendly too.

That's a cool looking desk you have there! Wished I had that much space.

Cat

Hey Cat! Yeah it's me!

That desk that I use right now as my computer desk used to be our dining table from our old place. So, yeah, it's kind of spacious. We got a new dining table when we moved to a new condo.

And going back to the topic, I gave away my XP machine to someone in need when I got a Win 7 PC more than a year ago. I don't know if you can consider it "dropping an XP" but I know it's really helping out someone right now.

badrobot, that was good of you to do! Not only did you help someone in need (I've done the same), it also reduces waste in our landfills. While we can make, build & grow many things, producing land isn't one of them.

I've given away several XP computers that were given to me to try & fix, usually whoever owned it didn't want to spend the cash on a new OS or hardware & were left with me. Have a collection of used IDE HDD's & various sticks of DDR/DDR2 RAM, some from these same computers.

If there was a reinstall partition present, I'd reload the OS & fully update it. Then after defrag & running full virus scan, I'd give them to someone needy (usually a family with a child). In the absence of any recovery methods, I just load Linux Mint or Ubuntu on them. Today, I'd do that w/out a second thought, whether there is a usable XP installed or not.

Where I lived before, close to the business district, I'd see PC towers on a fairly regular basis by the trash/recycle bins, some fully working when plugged in. That became a hobby to me, just something to kill time, learn & help others at the same time. Many usable electronics are needlessly thrown away daily.

Cat

Mate is a good desktop, that's the version of Mint that I run. Am in the process of upgrading (by clean install) the last one to Mint 16.

While it's suggested to & many goes with the 32 bit version, I run 64 bit, as I don't see PAE as a replacement for a true 64 bit OS. Even with just 4GB RAM, loading of apps are much faster.

And either leaves XP in a dust cloud.

Cat

I love Windows XP and I still use it. Though these days I am using mostly Windows 7. Unfortunately support for XP ends in April 2014,no more updates after that time. So we don't really have any choice, we will have to stop using it and move on to Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Sabayon x64 with the Mate desktop

Tried Sambayon but I find it kind of "heavier" than, say, Linux Mint 16. Sambayon is loaded with plenty of usable features and I kind of like that it uses Chromium as a default browser but it's kind of slower than other linux distros that I've tried. Especially on boot up. It is also almost identical to the recently released Fedora 20. I am still staying with Linux Mint.

Screenshot-1.png

Cheers!

I recall Sabayon Linux from sometime in 2011. Started up with a lot of rock music, though I'm sure this could be disabled. It seemed to require longer boot times, can't really recall it's performance after loading.

Being that I was a Mint user then too, I tried it & passed it up. However I had a friend totally new to Linux, plus he loves rock, that compelled him to give the OS a chance. Still uses it to this day, has dumped XP altogether in doing so. Told me that he found it to be the most effective way to learn, was to use it & ignore XP.

Cat

I feel the same way and wonder if I'll ever again be able to use my OEM copies of XP and XP 64bit which were so very good to me a few years back.

The only thing that twists my shorts though is the cavalier decision by M$ to remove Space Cadet Table pinball game. I, and I suspect half the planet (maybe even the North Korean Dear Smuck Leader), loves that game and rues it's disappearance.

Lucky for me I found the entire game on an .exe file. It loaded into my W7 machine last year and seemed to work OK. Maybe it will load in my W8 64bit one too. I hope.... Dare I have a go?

Does anyone know where that game, in source code, might be available? Maybe I could compile it for W8????

I feel the same way and wonder if I'll ever again be able to use my OEM copies of XP and XP 64bit which were so very good to me a few years back.

The only thing that twists my shorts though is the cavalier decision by M$ to remove Space Cadet Table pinball game. I, and I suspect half the planet (maybe even the North Korean Dear Smuck Leader), loves that game and rues it's disappearance.

Lucky for me I found the entire game on an .exe file. It loaded into my W7 machine last year and seemed to work OK. Maybe it will load in my W8 64bit one too. I hope.... Dare I have a go?

Does anyone know where that game, in source code, might be available? Maybe I could compile it for W8????

Of course you'll be able to use your copies of XP, as long as the risks are understood. It's very likely that many will continue doing so after the 04/08/2014 cutoff date of support. Keep in mind that more maintenance will be needed to secure the OS from outside threats.

It could be that there are a blend of security apps that will help to protect it, don't depend on free security to do this. An Internet Suite (AV w/Firewall) will be needed, as well as MBAM Pro for active malware protection, this is a Lifetime app & is often on promo for as little as $12.99 @ Newegg. An online scan with an app such as the free ESET online scanner would be good to run monthly, at a minimum.

If running as the only computer in the dwelling, don't depend on the ISP modem as a Firewall, buy a wireless router & connect to one of the ports on it to have a Hardware Firewall. One doesn't need to spend a fortune on this. During setup, make sure that the NAT Firewall is enabled & while there, change the name of the router (the name it's displaying as a wireless connection) to something other than Linksys, Netgear, TrendNet, anything other than the brand of the router.

Google has pledged to support XP for one year beyond end of support date, which will be far more secure than IE8, plus has the latest Flash Player built in. Install AdBlock Plus & other extensions that may be helpful, such as WOT, Bitdefender Quickscan & Traffic Light. If using Firefox, NoScript is one of the best security extensions available, combined with AdBlock Plus, makes for a secure browser.

Speaking of plug ins, if at all possible, avoid Java. On newer OS's it's only recommended for those who needs it, I've been running w/out Java for 3+ months on all of my computers, except whatever may be installed inside of Linux Mint. If a scanner does need Java, such as the Intel Driver Update Utility or NVIDIA updater, they have their custom one time use versions for this.

If Java is needed, keep it disabled except for when being used.

It wouldn't be advisable to use the OS to install critical apps, such as email clients or any app that handles transactions (such as a stock market trading one). Nor make purchases.

And all installed apps will need to be kept current, this is important for supported OS's also. Secunia PSI can help with this. Speaking of this, keep installed apps to a minimum, there's no need to have anything that's not used.

This advise is the best that I can offer to anyone who wants to keep XP, not as of April 8, but as of today.

As for me, I'll be totally off of XP by the cutoff date. XP Mode will be removed from any installs that has it left & the one computer designed for XP will either run Windows 7 Home Basic or a lite Linux based OS, or dual boot the two. I have no critical or even basic need for XP, nor have I for 2-3 years, not since SP1 for Windows 7 was released back in 2011.

Good Luck to those who plans to continue to run Windows XP. The dangers of continual running of the OS has been well known & passed on to us by MS & other sites for at least 2 years. Anyone who trades with a business who still uses XP (except cash transactions) should avoid such places, not due to freedom of choice, which I strongly believe in, but if a credit/debit card is used at the establishment, customers credentials are being recklessly exposed to who knows what type of threats.

It does concern me that 25+% of the public, depending on who's counting, is still using this OS. Not so much as in freedom of choice, but because today's OS's shares some of the same code, some of which predates XP. No one is reassuring Windows 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista users that whatever shared code is reasonably safe (or that the later OS's are immune), should these computers come in contact with an infected XP (or earlier OS) based computer. There are apps that needs the earlier .NET Frameworks (3.5 & 2.0) to properly run.

Cat

Of course you'll be able to use your copies of XP, as long as the risks are understood. It's very likely that many will continue doing so after the 04/08/2014 cutoff date of support. Keep in mind that more maintenance will be needed to secure the OS from outside threats.

It could be that there are a blend of security apps that will help to protect it, don't depend on free security to do this. An Internet Suite (AV w/Firewall) will be needed, as well as MBAM Pro for active malware protection, this is a Lifetime app & is often on promo for as little as $12.99 @ Newegg. An online scan with an app such as the free ESET online scanner would be good to run monthly, at a minimum.

If running as the only computer in the dwelling, don't depend on the ISP modem as a Firewall, buy a wireless router & connect to one of the ports on it to have a Hardware Firewall. One doesn't need to spend a fortune on this. During setup, make sure that the NAT Firewall is enabled & while there, change the name of the router (the name it's displaying as a wireless connection) to something other than Linksys, Netgear, TrendNet, anything other than the brand of the router.

Google has pledged to support XP for one year beyond end of support date, which will be far more secure than IE8, plus has the latest Flash Player built in. Install AdBlock Plus & other extensions that may be helpful, such as WOT, Bitdefender Quickscan & Traffic Light. If using Firefox, NoScript is one of the best security extensions available, combined with AdBlock Plus, makes for a secure browser.

Speaking of plug ins, if at all possible, avoid Java. On newer OS's it's only recommended for those who needs it, I've been running w/out Java for 3+ months on all of my computers, except whatever may be installed inside of Linux Mint. If a scanner does need Java, such as the Intel Driver Update Utility or NVIDIA updater, they have their custom one time use versions for this.

If Java is needed, keep it disabled except for when being used.

If I use XP it will be off line only for my old games that I can't live without.

I'll tell you what's scary. Many business that I visit are using old Dell computers with XP. Even my local city government offices still use it. So what gives? Don't they know???? Or maybe they know something the rest of us don't.

It wouldn't be advisable to use the OS to install critical apps, such as email clients or any app that handles transactions (such as a stock market trading one). Nor make purchases.

And all installed apps will need to be kept current, this is important for supported OS's also. Secunia PSI can help with this. Speaking of this, keep installed apps to a minimum, there's no need to have anything that's not used.

This advise is the best that I can offer to anyone who wants to keep XP, not as of April 8, but as of today.

As for me, I'll be totally off of XP by the cutoff date. XP Mode will be removed from any installs that has it left & the one computer designed for XP will either run Windows 7 Home Basic or a lite Linux based OS, or dual boot the two. I have no critical or even basic need for XP, nor have I for 2-3 years, not since SP1 for Windows 7 was released back in 2011.

Good Luck to those who plans to continue to run Windows XP. The dangers of continual running of the OS has been well known & passed on to us by MS & other sites for at least 2 years. Anyone who trades with a business who still uses XP (except cash transactions) should avoid such places, not due to freedom of choice, which I strongly believe in, but if a credit/debit card is used at the establishment, customers credentials are being recklessly exposed to who knows what type of threats.

It does concern me that 25+% of the public, depending on who's counting, is still using this OS. Not so much as in freedom of choice, but because today's OS's shares some of the same code, some of which predates XP. No one is reassuring Windows 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista users that whatever shared code is reasonably safe (or that the later OS's are immune), should these computers come in contact with an infected XP (or earlier OS) based computer. There are apps that needs the earlier .NET Frameworks (3.5 & 2.0) to properly run.

Cat

Did you give the Pinball Star (from Windows store) a try?.. I think it's the Win 8 reincarnation of Space Cadet. :)

Screenshot (18).png

If I use XP it will be off line only for my old games that I can't live without.

I'll tell you what's scary. Many business that I visit are using old Dell computers with XP. Even my local city government offices still use it. So what gives? Don't they know???? Or maybe they know something the rest of us don't.

Yes, I know that users across the spectrum are continuing to run XP, despite the risks. You're 100% right, it's very scary. Too scary for my comfort zone. Our local library still has XP computers for public use. Many of the ones who uses these computers either cannot afford one nor ISP fees, some truly doesn't know the dangers because all they see is a working computer. Some of which doesn't know the least thing about what an up to date OS is or means, nor updates/security. This is local government failing it's citizens.

I make that statement "failing it's citizens" with meaning, most of us has to pay local taxes on autos or homes, a percentage of that goes towards local libraries, parks & recreation. Surely they can afford Windows 7 computers, at a minimum. My granddaughter told me it's the same at her school.

I did play with Windows 2000 Pro shortly after support ended in 2010, but that didn't last long. Unlike XP, W2K didn't have as large of a following, meaning many vendors dropped the OS from it's support within a year. However, I haven't conducted business with W2K since 2005/2006. Nor XP since SP1 was released for Windows 7.

badrobot, that's something that looks like it belongs on an XP, if not older, computer. I can't believe it's offered for Windows 8.1. Evidently, a few users must like it, according to the ratings.

Cat

Cat

Although it looks like most people here are ditching XP, I am not one. Please read on, I need a little help. (Or skip to the end. :).)

WINDOWS VISTA

When windows Vista came out, it lasted less than 30 days on my machine. Not only were there horrible driver issues plaguing it, Programs and features that were standard with XP were eliminated. Options I used were moved/Renamed, or hidden under layers of menus that were just plain aggravating, and because increased the "number of clicks" I needed to access them, my productivity was impacted. After trying work a rounds for a little more than 3 weeks, I upgraded to XP.

WINDOWS SEVEN

After quite a while, the Windows 7 Beta Surfaced. I was disappointed to see that it had been constructed off the Vista UI model. The features I had been campaigning for to return were still missing. Microsoft's answer to that was the same as it was in Vista. THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE. I actually tried that. Most third party software did not work as well as the options that were originally part of windows. XP slide show for instance, had (has) menu options to rotate the pictures, or send it to on external photo editor. All while looking at the photo without an un needed editing/menu bar across the top. This allowed me to look at the pictures edge to edge on my screen for flaws, and perform actions with a right mouse click. This was a simple right click option, but the eliminated it. The missing up arrow in Windows explorer was another feature campaigned for. I still use third party software to keep that small bit of functionality. Outlook Express: Simple, no unneeded Functionality to complicate things. In my opinion, MS Mail missed that mark by a mile. There are more, but I don't want this entry to become a novel. With Vista as well as 7 my biggest complaint other than missing features was KEEP THE LEARNING CURVE SMALL.

Windows 7 is a very stable OS with a lot of decent features in the UI. After enduring the learning curve, and getting over what once took me 2 clicks now takes 3-6, I caved, and bought a 7 machine. I still Use my XP machine. They sit side by side, with one keyboard over another. I still cannot get over the functionality and features I lost with XP.

WINDOWS 8:

I needed to learn Windows 8 for work. Even though my company as been forced to Windows 7 due to the upcoming loss of support, I am happy to see, it drew a line, and did not opt for windows 8. This conversion was within the last few months. Until that, all Company computers had the XP OS. Customers in my area however do have windows 8, and I need to know it to do my job. I bought the Windows 8 OS when it came out, and converted a laptop I had recently purchased.
I'm sorry to say it was an awful experience from the start. The learning curve that I had been preaching to keep low since Vista was through the roof! The entire UI experience is horrible, and even with practice and experience has stayed that way. I could write an entire chapter on what I absolutely hate, and what I believe needs fixing NOW. Registry tweaks are NOT fixes. Telling people to fix the OS themselves is crazy. Nobody should have to go out and get third party software just to make a UI friendly and usable. Almost every other IT professional I have talked to doesn't like it either. Please don't post that you are an IT pro and like it. It doesn't matter to me. I detest it. Even, and especially after working with it.
Microsoft's response to all the complaints as far as I've seen, is get over it. I do have my up arrow back, but that's like putting perfume on a pig. I do have one good thing to say about Windows 8. Because if it, I'm really picking up the android OS. I will not buy any hardware with Windows 8 on it. The Surface looks like a decent Tablet: Windows 8, NO WAY. Microsoft's attempt to get me do downgrade to Windows 8 is everywhere, and just plain irritating.

NOW FOR THE HELP I NEED:

I own a copy of XP Pro. unfortunately, it is a very early copy without any of the major updates, or Service packs. I back up my computers regularly, and when a computer starts to slow down, I strip it and reload the OS. Is there any way for me to download, and save all the service packs and updates, so when I need to reinstall XP I can update it to the point where support stopped. I'm not a company, I don't keep secure information or handle financial transactions. I'm keeping it for functionality, and because I like it. Microsoft has claimed to listen to people when designing their UI's. I don't believe that. Your help in spite of comments about your favorite OS, and unfavorable MS remarks would be appreciated.

"Nobody should have to go out and get third party software just to make a UI friendly and usable."

Nobody does (have to).

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

By the way thanks for the help offer Drew. I have added a Surface 2 and Surface 2 Pro to our tech war-chest for the Family, and they compliment our Windows phones. I don't really need all the memory and features of the Surface 2 Pro vs the Surface 2 and at twice the weight, a person should really have a need for those features to buy the Pro, most would be better off with the plain Surface 2. Tablets really make 8.1 shine!
I am now finding myself using 8.1 computers much more. Waiting on Win 7 Ssooo yesterday!

Back