Windows 7 Doesn't shutdown or restart

My only thoughts would be to check with the motherboard manufacturer and see if there are any updates for the chipset as well as a recent bios update, but of course you've probably already thought of that.

I have an intel core 2 duo motherboard with an intel E8400 CPU. This is less than a year old and is a homebuilt (my sixth home built). I have no cheap USB module that is an "add-on" to my computer. This computer has an identical sister computer that was built at the same time for one of my sons. He has the identical problem. (Not surprised) I love windows 7 but wish I could get it to shutdown and turn off at the end of the day. I can live with turning off using the "on-off" button on the power supply but it is an inconvenience. That's my situation. Any help or thoughts will be pondered and if it sounds realistic it will be tried.

intel core 2 duo motherboard? Is that the model? If I were you I would google this issue with the mobo model name in the search string and just keep reading and trying stuff. I am suspicious of your mobo being the issue because I saw alot of asus mobo's having this issue when i found my fix.

Good luck n peace.

Thanks. I have done some searching ....my teen age son has done a lot more (he has more time than me). Keep me in mind if you have anymore ideas or come across something that might work. The MB is an intel DP45SG LGA 775 intel P45. The bios was updated several months ago.

Every time I try to shutdown or restart the Windows 7 build 7000, it doesn't do anything. I have to press the power button and shut it down manually.

What can be the problem?

It seems to be a problem with ASUS P5KC motherboards; I have the same problem since upgrading to WIN7. I haven't found and answer either.

It seems to be a problem with ASUS P5KC motherboards; I have the same problem since upgrading to WIN7. I haven't found and answer either.
something from ASUS:
Cons: This motherboard has a big problem running numerous makes of 8500 (1066 Mhz) RAM. Checkout their support forums (ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum-) to see all the people with 8500 ram having to run it at DDR2-6400 (800Mhz) speed for it to run stable!

Overall: Misleading advertising for Asus to claim it supports DDR2-8500 (1066) when it doesnt. Hopefully this will be fixed in future BIOS release, but its looking doubtful given ASUS's lack of reply to the numerous support tickets/complaints about the misleading RAM support.

something about ASUS P5KC:
Cons: This motherboard has a big problem running numerous makes of 8500 (1066 Mhz) RAM. Checkout their support forums (ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum-) to see all the people with 8500 ram having to run it at DDR2-6400 (800Mhz) speed for it to run stable!

Overall: Misleading advertising for Asus to claim it supports DDR2-8500 (1066) when it doesnt. Hopefully this will be fixed in future BIOS release, but its looking doubtful given ASUS's lack of reply to the numerous support tickets/complaints about the misleading RAM support.

Sorry here is the link to the above.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

De select the "Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" button on the Network Adapters Power Management Tab using Device Manager. This stopped my shutdown issue with ASUS Motherboard and onboard Atheros L1 Ethernet controller. Updqate this thread if it works for you. Its a common problem with Windows 7 for some reason.

Been putting up with this since I upgraded to WIN 7 64: Applied the fix and now the PC shuts down.
1: Go to Regedit
2: Find this key:- " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "
3: Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax "
4: This value represents the % number of cores the system will park - the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able
5: Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax " are both zero
6: You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found - the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system (in my PC it was only found twice )
6: Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start "
Now my PC shuts down nicely.

Thanks to those for all that hard work and research.

To temporarily curtail programs from running on the background on startup (which can ultimately prevent the shutdown), you can go to Start -> msconfig -> Startup, and start filtering the Startup applications (carefully!!)

Hey thanks for the idea. I tried it but without any luck. I should clarify.....the win7 OS closes down but the fans continue to run and in order to reboot the PC I need to turn the power supply switch to off and then back on. Any other ideas?

Are you sure this will work with an intel MB? What else may be screwed up if I try this? I found everything exactly as described but am somewhat hesitant to do anything ....concerned that by making the change I will not be able to change it back if it does not fix the problem. Can you give me more assurance that everything will be OK?

Well I finally got around to trying this change and still had no luck. Again w7 shuts down however the fans continue to run and the PC can not be restarted without turnoff the back power switch off. If you ever hear of another idea let me know. Thanks again for the idea.

Open Command Prompt. Type: shutdown /r

Hit enter. Wait 1 minute - Behold the shutdown...

After the reboot, try the Shutdown button.

(This worked for me when I had this issue)

To prevent the issue from returning, I conducted full updates to OS, Drivers, Bios.

Good luck.

Back