Windows 7 Doubled my system memory and now W7 crashes

bangemdead

Hi
I have been using Windows 7 x64 for a couple of weeks now with no problems. I had 4gig of memory and thought now that I was using a 64bit system I would add some more memory. My new memory arrived today, put it in and booted windows 7, checked how much memory it was showing and could see that I have 8gig. "Great" I thought. After 5 minutes of just leaving the system and running, I get the blue screen and then a restart.

Is this the memory leak issue that seems to be rumored on the net, any one know a fix?

Up till now windows 7 has been great.

Cheers

My LAN buddy has 8gig in his without memory leak issues so all I can suggest is check the ram in bios, making sure settings are correct as per manual info, I know some boards require the RAM to underclock when using 8gig....mine is one such board, 4gig is 800mhz but if i want 8gig has to be locked to 667mhz :(.

Memory voltage

I had a very similar situation in Vista x86. I decided to add 4 gigs of memory to my 2 gig machine. I was going to take advantage of 64 bit when Win 7 became available so I thought this $30 upgrade was a good one. Not so!

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop. It's been a very solid little desktop. However, the motherboard only supports certain voltages for the memory. The new memory I bought needed a voltage just a fuzz higher than what the motherboard could provide. First thing that started happening was a BSOD in Vista x64 that I was trying out. No good. So I kept using x86 and ignored it. Then I started having issues in World of Warcraft where the large video files and such would corrupt spontaneously forcing a complete reinstall every day just to be able to play.

I removed the original memory and the problem got worse. I removed the memory I added and the problem went away completely. I started doing research on the motherboard and found the voltage requirement. Once I ordered 4 more gigs of memory at the same voltage level as the original memory all my troubles went away and it has been 100% stable ever since.

My advice would be to compare memory very closely. Get exactly the same voltage and CAS Latency that the original memory has. Most online retailers list the right specs. The higher performance memory such as Crucial Ballistix is notorious for needing more juice to run right.

Good luck!

I'm running x64 RTM and I just got confirmation that my order for 4gig was delivered to my house. I'll install it when I get home from work and see if I run into any troubles, too.

BTW, like you, I contemplated adding 4gig more since I was using x64, but instead of just buying the lowest cost memory, I bought the same exact memory so that the new DDR2's would match the other DDR2's I bought a couple weeks ago; PNY memory. I bought from Fry's Electronics. They had other memory for less, but the latency didn't match. The Patriot memory was 5-5-5-12 and the PNY, which I have, shown 6-6-6-15 (I can't remember off the top of my head) or something like that in the bios. I imagine if I had these two different sets in my computer, I would have experienced BSOD's like you're having.

Check out some of the different Latency timings on the memory: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Edit -

I installed the additional memory and ran some benchmark test and Windows experience. So far no problems at all. I believe the problem you're having is due to mixed voltages or CAS latency of different memory sticks.

Last edited:
Hi
I have been using Windows 7 x64 for a couple of weeks now with no problems. I had 4gig of memory and thought now that I was using a 64bit system I would add some more memory. My new memory arrived today, put it in and booted windows 7, checked how much memory it was showing and could see that I have 8gig. \"Great\" I thought. After 5 minutes of just leaving the system and running, I get the blue screen and then a restart.

Is this the memory leak issue that seems to be rumored on the net, any one know a fix?

Up till now windows 7 has been great.

Cheers
The blue screen could be done to a number of things so please list system spec. Also it's not unknown to purchase bad RAM and this utility will check it out for you: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
Alsways test one stick at a time as testing all together can hide errors

Back