Windows 7 drives not recognized as cd-rw

RonR399

all of a sudden my 2 cd-rw drives are recognized as cd-rom.

what can i do to fix this??

no new programs have been installed.

i have win 7, 64 bit

Last edited:
Have you tried writing to them? If it is just the leballing and you find you can write then not so much a problem. If you find you cannot write to them try removing them from the device list, rebooting and see if Win 7 detects and re-installs the drivers for them.

Have you tried writing to them? If it is just the leballing and you find you can write then not so much a problem. If you find you cannot write to them try removing them from the device list, rebooting and see if Win 7 detects and re-installs the drivers for them.

I have already tried that. I am going to get 2 new drives.

I have win 7, 64 bit and the drives are older so with updates maybe they no
longer work with the 64 bit version.

I will let you know what I find, it will take a week or more for the new drives to arrive.

Having followed the instructions in the link and opened the series of sub-items in regedit you should see something like the attached in which you should see the entry for the upperfilters which you need to edit as described.

Capture.JPG

For a start I would not replace them at this stage - I think it most unlikely that two drives have failed simultaneously. Did you try removing them from device manager, restarting and letting Windows reinstall the drivers?

I also doubt the drives have failed, but, they are 2 years old and maybe with updates on my Win 7, 64 Bit they no longer work.

I did try a new drive but it was the same. I needed a DVD-rw on my backup computer anyway.

I have already tried uninstalling the drivers and re-installed the drivers but no change.

I also deleted the files in the registry as suggested but no change.

i can still write music to the cd but no data, no format option in the properties and it shows as a CD-R in My Computer.

Last edited:
Back