Windows 7 Dual Boot Win XP Pro/Win 7 RC1 to Win XP Pro/Win 7 Pro

neo13183

I'm a bit concerned about my installation options at this point. I have one 500GB HD, that I had partitioned to two drives with GParted. I was then able to install the Win 7 RC and dual boot both versions just fine.

Now, I received my Windows 7 Upgrade copy and wondering if I can still continue to dual boot while I start to reinstall my other applications on the Win 7 partition.

A). Will the licensing setup with the upgrade .iso I made force me to "deactivate" Windows XP?
B). I formatted the Windows 7 RC partition, but still have the Windows 7 boot prompt. When trying to do a custom install of Windows 7, I get the prompt "The partition you selected might contain files from a previous Windows installation. If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old. You will be able to access the information in Windows.old, but you will not be able to use your previous version of Windows." I'm wondering if that is from the Windows 7 boot loader being present and my crude uninstalling of 7 by formatting, or is the setup picking up on Windows XP....

I don't want to backup all my data and do this for a few weeks if I can't boot XP basically. Anyone have any ideas on this?

I have xp dual booted with Win 7 Upgrade. I did a custom install to a blank partition. When I activated Win7 it went right through without having to do any workarounds.
I would say that the boot loader is indeed left over from your previous dual boot setup. I think that as long as you choose the formatted partition for a custom install, you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom