Windows 7 Dual Monitors and Icons

de Silentio

Well, I set up my dual monitors today and I have a goofy thing happening. First off, my setup:

1. Primary display is my laptop screen
2. Secondary display is a monitor hooked up to the laptop output (VGA)
3. My secondary display is on the left (not the "default" right)

When I have everything set up so that my Secondary Display is on the right, everything is fine. When I move it to the left (so the "2" Screen is on the left of hte "1" Screen in the setup) all my icons move to the left screen (#2 - wrong screen), but my primary monitor is still the right (#1). My taskbar stays on the right screen (#1).

Odd, it seems like the icons are always on whatever screen is to the Left. I goofed around with settings, and this is always the case.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue, or can someone try moving their secondary screen to the left to see if the issue is replicated on their machines.

Thanks for your help.

Have you rebooted after you move the monitor position?

That happened to me, but it corrected itself after a reboot.

This is a glitch in windows 7 that i have reported to the windows team. It seems that whenever you attach a second monitor while starting windows it defaults all icons to the left most screen. One of the developers has messaged me back and told me that it is an apparent bug that will be fixed in an upcoming update.

you have to disable your 2nd monitor first by going to monitor number 1 and set it to show desktop on this monitor only, then keep setting. after that select the 2nd monitor and select extend. after that drag the boxes left or right depending on where your monitors are.

This is a glitch in windows 7 that i have reported to the windows team. It seems that whenever you attach a second monitor while starting windows it defaults all icons to the left most screen. One of the developers has messaged me back and told me that it is an apparent bug that will be fixed in an upcoming update.
I was having a similar problem today in the release candidate that drove me crazy. When I changed my 20" external to the main monitor, the icons and task bar moved over fine, but it is positioned on the left side of my laptop so I dragged over the monitor icon to the "left" side to get the configuration right. Every single time I rebooted the thing, it reverted back to my laptop screen as the main monitor and repositioned my external to the "right". Does this sound like the bug you reported? The beta kind of did this but I made it stop with the ATI CCC; the release candidate is unresponsive to it. Or do you know of a workaround?

Last edited:
Back