Windows 7 Duplicate User Folders & Homegroup

icersman

I have a new Toshiba laptop using Win7 Premium. Somehow, there are three user folders that contain the same files (photos, documents & music). 'Steve' is 2.93 GB, 'Steve_2' is 2.72GB and 'Steve_2.Steve_laptop' is 3.19GB

If I delete 'Steve' & 'Steve_2', will the same photos, music etc. be deleted from the 'Steve_2.Steve_laptop' folder?

I have connected the laptop to my homegroup - now when I look at the homegroup on my desktop, it shows two laptops with the same name. :confused: :confused:

The homegroup on my laptop only lists the laptop once. Rebooting the laptop did not solve the issue.

What am I missing here?

Homegroup.jpg

I would guess many folks would be a little uncertain about your situation and how it occurred. I have seen instances where multiple folders were created in error and had to be removed, but not your situation.

How did you set up or what utility did you use to put the files on your new laptop in the first place?

I copied files from my desktop and the old laptop to a portable HD and then to the new laptop. I don't know how the multiple user profiles were created. I only have the one profile in the user account list.

Then all I can think of is that you copied multiple copies of the same folders to your new system. Are all the sub folders and files the same?

I would probably go through and see what might be different in the user profiles then make a decision as to which ones to delete. You may want to move some files to another area to make sure you have them available if something does not work right.

Since you show multiple user profile folders, do you have more that one use account on your new system?

Your homegroup seems to think you have two computers named the same. I would try leaving the homegroup and see what shows then.

Thanks, Saltgrass.

I've deleted two of the user files and left and rejoined the homegroup.

Now I only have one laptop showing up in the homegroup and one user on the C drive.

Now one last question -- is there a way to change the name of the user group? When I open its properties, the name is locked.

Not that it really matters, but I like to keep things neat and tidy.

Thanks again

I am not sure what name you want to change. If you mean Workgroup, use the System Panel (winkey + Pause) and change settings.

If it is something else, please explain exactly what name you are referring to.

If you go into your user account there is an option to change the account name. It may not actually change the folder names, but you will have a new user name. It has a shield, which means it needs admin approval. The account is an admin account, right?

Perhaps the best way would be to set up the user you want and move stuff over, although I have not tried that.

I thought you said you had a normal account with the name you wanted. I suppose you deleted that one?

I thought you said you had a normal account with the name you wanted. I suppose you deleted that one?

I did, but this user profile had all of my documents -- the others did not. I figured that I could rename it once the others were deleted. DOH! :(

It's not a big deal if I can't change it, especially after reading through the process to create a new profile and copy everything over to the new one.

Back