Windows 7 DVD Drive Not Working Properly on Windows 7

Questi4110

I can't seem to get my DVD drive to work properly on Windows 7 64-bit.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard = Gigabyte P55-UD3R
DVD Drive = NEC ND-3540A

At first, the drive was not detecting any DVDs. However, now the drive detects DVDs after about 3-4 minutes of spinning but then takes forever to read the drive and play any files on the drive.

I have tried the drive in another computer and it works fine. I have checked the cable connections and it is set on "cable select". All my bios firmware and drive firmware (no drivers for the drive) are up to date.

I have uninstalled any programs that I think might interfere with the drive, such as Nero, Daemon tools, and SPTD.

Here is the link to a discussion help thread I have posted at anandtech:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=29080317&posted=1

Please help me!

THANKS

:cool:It will be best if you first try opening Device manager folder and select the DVD drive listed, delete and uninstalled, then reboot, as this method will then redetect your firmware. let me know if this method solves your problem, John

I have tried that and it didn't work. I also tried several different cables, have tried putting the drive on the cable alone or with another device and in cable select, master, slave modes. I also tried changing to PIO instead of DMA but nothing really works.

Thanks

Dvd drive not functioning

I may only request that you contact your motherboard manufacturer, and request the specifications on the i/o inputs for that Drive, especially if you installed it on another motherboard and it functioned correctly. It would be best to to seek a comparison in the specs. of the other board that your drive played correctly on and compare it with your present board. I wish I could offer you some more precise solutions, but my experience with DVD /CD drives have lead me to believe that the bulk of them are mated directly to the manufacturers specs. per computer setup and most have an inherited problem with Add in Motherboards. If you have the available funds on hand, try to purchase an external USB Player. I myself use one with no compatibility problems at all. Please keep me informed of your troubleshooting methods, John. :confused:

You could try to have a look at the possible suggestions at this site: Windows 7 DVD Drive Not Working Problem Missing Disappeared Error Gone Not Found Not Recognized in x64 and x86

It seems like a rather common problem with windows 7.
cheers,
--mike

I can't seem to get my DVD drive to work properly on Windows 7 64-bit.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard = Gigabyte P55-UD3R
DVD Drive = NEC ND-3540A

At first, the drive was not detecting any DVDs. However, now the drive detects DVDs after about 3-4 minutes of spinning but then takes forever to read the drive and play any files on the drive.

I have tried the drive in another computer and it works fine. I have checked the cable connections and it is set on "cable select". All my bios firmware and drive firmware (no drivers for the drive) are up to date.

I have uninstalled any programs that I think might interfere with the drive, such as Nero, Daemon tools, and SPTD.

Here is the link to a discussion help thread I have posted at anandtech:
DVD Drive detected but can't play CDs/DVDs in Windows 7 64-bit - AnandTech Forums

Please help me!

THANKS

Resolved DVD Issue

I may only request that you contact your motherboard manufacturer, and request the specifications on the i/o inputs for that Drive, especially if you installed it on another motherboard and it functioned correctly. It would be best to to seek a comparison in the specs. of the other board that your drive played correctly on and compare it with your present board. I wish I could offer you some more precise solutions, but my experience with DVD /CD drives have lead me to believe that the bulk of them are mated directly to the manufacturers specs. per computer setup and most have an inherited problem with Add in Motherboards. If you have the available funds on hand, try to purchase an external USB Player. I myself use one with no compatibility problems at all. Please keep me informed of your troubleshooting methods, John. :confused:
I was able solve my DVD problem in W7 by deleting the upper and lower registry values, restart and the system recognized my player and the issue was solved.

Back