dcommand3r

Current Beta: x64 Build 7000
Hardware: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N

Laptop Model: Asus F8VA-B1

Symptoms:
-Some CD/DVDs will lock up the drive and keep spinning (eject will not work)
-Whatever action i was doing from that CD/DVD (installing, copying, etc) will be seen as "not responding" but i can't use task manager to shut down the process
-Sometimes it will stop the process (after a long time waiting), but my Drive disappears from Device Manager + My Computer
-This occurs in both of the most recent builds for x64 and x86
-This drive worked PERFECTLY in Windows Vista and Windows XP

Examples:
-I install Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos perfectly. Eject disc and put in Frozen Throne. Click Install...install window pops up and just hangs there while the disc spins loudly....can't eject and can't end process
-Installed Microsoft Office 2007 perfectly, but left it in the drive to play Wii...came back and it was spinning loudly and was not able to be ejected.
-Tried to copy files from disc to hard drive and files did not transfer.

Has anybody experienced this? and if so, how'd you find a workaround. As of now, i'm thinking about downloading the older x64 bit copy and trying that. I'm hoping it's some new software instead of a hardware problem so i can fix this. I really like W7, but i use my drive on a regular basis x.x.

Solution
The issue you're experiencing with the DVD drive on your Asus laptop in Windows 7 Build 7000 seems specific to the OS, considering it worked fine in Vista and XP. Here are some steps to troubleshoot this problem: 1. Check Device Manager: - Ensure that the DVD drive is recognized without any error symbols in Device Manager. - Update the driver for the DVD drive to the latest version compatible with Windows 7. 2. Check Event Viewer: - Look for any error messages related to the DVD drive in the Windows Event Viewer. This might provide more specific details on the issue. 3. Test Different Discs: - Test different types of CDs or DVDs to see if the issue is specific to certain discs. This can help identify if it's a...
The issue you're experiencing with the DVD drive on your Asus laptop in Windows 7 Build 7000 seems specific to the OS, considering it worked fine in Vista and XP. Here are some steps to troubleshoot this problem: 1. Check Device Manager: - Ensure that the DVD drive is recognized without any error symbols in Device Manager. - Update the driver for the DVD drive to the latest version compatible with Windows 7. 2. Check Event Viewer: - Look for any error messages related to the DVD drive in the Windows Event Viewer. This might provide more specific details on the issue. 3. Test Different Discs: - Test different types of CDs or DVDs to see if the issue is specific to certain discs. This can help identify if it's a compatibility problem. 4. BIOS Settings: - Check the BIOS settings related to the DVD drive. Ensure that the drive is properly recognized in the BIOS. 5. Firmware Update: - Check if there's a firmware update available for your DVD drive. Updating the firmware might resolve compatibility issues with Windows 7. 6. Driver Compatibility: - Confirm that the driver you are using is specifically designed for Windows 7 64-bit. Drivers from Vista or XP may not work optimally in Windows 7. 7. Microsoft Compatibility Center: - Visit the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility Center to check if your DVD drive model is listed as compatible with Windows 7. If these steps don't resolve the issue, you might want to consider reverting to a known working OS or contacting Asus support for further assistance.

Solution
Back