Windows 7 DVD Tray opens on boot up

tomrhyne

I have been using Home Premium 64 bit Windows 7 for over a year and all of a sudden, without any know reason, my top DVD tray opens each time I boot up. The tray opens and a window appears saying to insert a disk. I don't see anything in the start-up folder or in MSConfig that would cause this. My thought is that some cache needs to be cleared. Any suggestions would be apprecitated.

Last edited:
What happens if you insert a CD?

Have you run a virus check lately?

Maybe check you bios and remove the DVD from first boot priority to see if it helps.

If insert a CD the system works as expected. If it has autorun it starts up. If not, you can view files on CD, etc. Virus scan runs daily. No problems detected. I'll go in a make changes to the BIOS and see if that prevents the anomalie; however, I suspect it will not as I was using the same BIOS setup before this problem occured.

I don't see anything in the start-up folder or in MSConfig that would cause this.
That would have been my first port of call. You'll get a more comprehensive view of startups from autoruns - that might help - free from here:

Autoruns for Windows

If insert a CD the system works as expected. If it has autorun it starts up. If not, you can view files on CD, etc. Virus scan runs daily. No problems detected. I'll go in a make changes to the BIOS and see if that prevents the anomalie; however, I suspect it will not as I was using the same BIOS setup before this problem occured.

I don't believe there are any BIOS settings that would cause this to occur, it must be in the Windows when it is first booting up.

When does the tray pop-out? During the "Welcome" screen in Windows? During the POST when the computer first boots?

Nibiru2012, thanks for your questions. To make sure I could answer them correctly I restarted my PC and when the user screen came up I decided to check the other two user logons that are available. I have one for my daughter/granddaughter, one that I use most of the time, and a backup administrator account in case I couldn't get into my normal account for some reason. My two are password protected. The other one is not. I logged on to my daughter/granddaughters account and the desktop opened and the CD tray didn't open. I logged off and logged on to my other adminsistrator account and the desktop opened and the tray did not open. I then logged off and logged on to my normal account and the desktop painted, the gadgets displayed, system tray icons appeared and then the tray opened followed by the window saying insert a disc into Drive U (my upper tray).

From this I conlude it is user dependent but I am not sure where to look. Hope this gives you some more thoughts on a possible solution.

I think I have solved the problem. I downloaded and ran Autoruns that Patcooke recommended. Under the logon tab I noticed that Adobe Bridge was being launched at logon. (Adobe Bridge is associated with Photoshop CS4.) I recalled I had observed a similar condition when opening bridge in the past. I unchecked Adobe Bridge in Autoruns. Re booted and the tray did not open. I opened Photoshop and went to the bridge. Immediately, the tray opened, and the window asking for me to insert a disck appeared. I went into the Adobe's cache settings and cleared the cashe for the U drive and the problem went away.

Now, when looking at the Autoruns info I noticed that the file for rdpclip was not found. I searched and couldn't find it on the PC. I believe this is an important file. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for all your help!

It is a part of the windows system and it should be there but it's by no means a critical file (you're unlikely to need it unless your are operating in a client/server setup). It is normally located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\. Make sure that you have your folder options set to show hiddent and system files before you look for it.

I do show that file on my 32 bit install in the System32 folder. I am looking at the .exe version of the file. If you really do not have it, you might try opening an administrative command prompt and typing SFC /scannow to check your system files. Administrative command prompt can be opened by typing cmd in the start menu search box then hit Ctrl+Shift Enter.

Are you saying the Bridge utility did not show in msconfig startup?

Saltgrass, thanks for your input. I am not saying that Bridge did not show up in the startup of MSconfig; obviously it did. I just didn't recognize it at the time as something that would be causing the problem. It wasn't until I saw "Adobe Bridge" not just "bridge" show up in Autoruns did it click in my mind that a similar problem had occured with Adobe Bridge in the past.

I ran the scan as an adminstrator and no integrity problems were discovered even though I have show hidden files enabled and looked through System32 and also did a search and cannot find it. Thanks for the info on the scan. For now I am forgetting it as it isn't creating a problem and I do not plan to use the system in a manner that would require that executable.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Interpreting what an item does in msconfig can be confusing. I just wanted to know if something was starting that was not contained there thus requiring the utility patcooke suggested to find it.

Back