Windows 10 DX 10 Game playing as DX 9

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Since Kemical's comments about the DX 12 situation, I have been doing some checking.

I realized Borderlands 2 is playing as DX 9 and 32 bit, which is its normal configuration. But I downloaded Borderlands Pre-Sequel which is a DX 10 version and it is still playing in DX 9 (32 bit).

I also notice when I install a Steam game, it configures C++ 2005, as do other utilities.

I have not yet checked the new DX 11 game in Windows 10, but after Windows 10 is released and the content providers update, will older C++ still need to be configured? Will DX 10 or DX 11 games still run in DX 9?

I checked Kemical's game in Windows 8.1 and it appears to be using multiple cores.

Even the new Borderlands game locks up after a few minutes and requires a restart. I might try the Dying Light game later, but so far, not very impressed with it.

Your not very impressed with dying Light? How come?
I've never had an issue running a game yet with Windows 10. Everything is very smooth and runs nice.

Apparently the issue is to do with AMD CPU's Clark. Did you test using AMD or Intel?

Hi

For what it's worth.

I'm not seeing any issues running games in Windows 10.

The games I've run are...

Dragon Age Inquisition, Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls Online, Age of Conan, The Secret World, the new Tomb Raider, and several of the older Tomb Raider games like Tomb Raider Underworld, Guild Wars 2 and the Final Fantasy 14 demo.

Looking forward to The Witcher 3, but the Witcher 2 runs fine as well.

All of them have run, with no lag and great graphics.

Some of them i.e. The Elder Scrolls Online are running in DX11.

I've been happy to see that most of these games run from my original Windows 8 installs without having to be reinstalled.

I haven't played Borderlands or Dying Light.

Mike

Dying Light is an open world, zombie killing, first person parkour game. I've currently been playing for 50+hrs and have still only completed 52% of the story. Graphics are excellent. Here's a few screenshots:
2015-01-29_00002.jpg

2015-02-03_00002.jpg

2015-02-03_00004.jpg

2015-01-30_00001.jpg

2015-02-06_00001.jpg

Your not very impressed with dying Light? How come?
I've never had an issue running a game yet with Windows 10. Everything is very smooth and runs nice.

Apparently the issue is to do with AMD CPU's Clark. Did you test using AMD or Intel?
I am getting used to the game so it is getting a little more playable, but I need more keyboard binding options. I don't usually like a game where items are not made available until after the game finishes some explanation. If something is available, it should show as such before some specific time. I have also gotten used to bad guys showing up with some designation, so you could see them coming and not be surprised while you were trying to open a car hood.. :)

Edit: I found the second and third pages of key bindings...have what I need now.

I am running Nvidia, but using the X99 system the previous preview build had so much trouble with.

I cannot see what version of DX the game is running in, but it seems to run OK so far. It does show quite a bit of activity on several cores. In Windows 8.1 I had not yet gotten to the in the field operations and they showed activity but with lesser core activity on the same number of cores.

I noticed the game had some known issues. They mention the AMD situation but also a problem freezes with the Nvidia Depth of Field option. I just turned that off on Borderlands 2 and the game did not lock up. Whether that setting was involved or the recent update I just got helped, I do not yet know. A problem with Multi-GPU systems was also mentioned, which I have.

I suppose what older software is loaded, such as C++ 2005 will depend on what the game needs and not just Windows 10.

Mike mentions some games I need to try. I have been playing Borderlands for several years since I have been unable to find anything I liked after I got tired of Crysis 3. But I even need to try that on my fairly new system.

Too bad we are no longer allowed to attach the system specs to our posts. Maybe I will put them in a signature line.

Last edited:
and not be surprised while you were trying to open a car hood..

Firecrackers work a treat to lure them away whilst you do whatever you have to do. If you think that's bad wait until you meet a 'Bomber'... :)

I know, I got that hint.... but the game itself is not really the reason for the thread.

My system just froze up running the Valley Benchmark on the 3 monitors in surround.

I notice in Surround the Task Bar will switch from just on the center monitor to across all three monitors and I don't make any changes I know of. I will start watching that to see if it may be related to the freezes.

The fact it takes around a minute during boot to go from the end of the spinning dots to the lock screen only happens when the Nvidia drivers are loaded....

Basically, Windows 10 is not yet ready for prime time.

Hmm.. I haven't seen any of those issues but then again I run a single monitor and not three. Have you tried running on just one monitor and seeing if the freezing still occurs?

Too bad we are no longer allowed to attach the system specs to our posts.

Did I miss a memo?
I agree 10 is a long way from the finish line... I'd love to know what system they did that rendor test in the release demo with? The one that "Microsoft says" (magicly) makes dirrect x 12 keep going after dirrect 11 gives up on the exact same hardware.

If you click on edit personal details you'll see that there is in fact a place to fill out your system specification but how others get to see that info I'm unsure.
I'll mention it to Mike as it is rather handy being able to see users set-ups when answering posts

I may have found the problem, but will test for some additional time to see if it sticks.

I was not overclocking the processor, but was running the memory at its rated speed of 2666. Since the motherboard won't go above 2400 without using XMP, I disabled XMP and have not seen a freeze this morning.

I did some other things also like completely removing and reinstalling the drivers, so after I feel this system is stable I will go back and re-enable XMP to see if it starts freezing again to try and confirm the results.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
I read the report by Anadatech which covered some of the improvements and memory problems Microsoft is seeing with DX 12. I get the impression it is going to be quite some time before DX 12 is the primary version of DirectX.

Just for info, I have gone back to Windows 8.1. The memory adjustment helped but still getting lockups in games. I played Borderlands for 1 hour fine, then loaded and ran the Valley benchmark and it locked up after 2 seconds.... :^)

There is talk of a new firmware update for my GTX 980 but I need to check the version, maybe it will help.

Hopefully the next build will not be that far away....

Back
Top Bottom