Windows 7 Easy way to reconnect to internet/network

NevadaSam

I am looking for an easy way to reconnect to the local network/internet after I have disable the connection.
I sometime disconnect my laptop from the network by by clicking the connection icon in the window tray and selecting disconnect. It is easy to disconnect, but is there an easy way to reconnect? Currently I am having to click the window tray icon which shows there is no connection, select Troubleshoot, a Windows Network Diagnostics screen will come up where I have to go through a few more screens asking the OS to find the problem and it will eventually come back and say I am not connected... Duh. Then finally I have the option to "Try these repairs as an administrator" which will reestablish the connection.

With previous OS I was able to simply go to the connection folder and either right click to connect or make a shortcut which made it real easy.

Sam

I am looking for an easy way to reconnect to the local network/internet after I have disable the connection.
I sometime disconnect my laptop from the network by by clicking the connection icon in the window tray and selecting disconnect. It is easy to disconnect, but is there an easy way to reconnect? Currently I am having to click the window tray icon which shows there is no connection, select Troubleshoot, a Windows Network Diagnostics screen will come up where I have to go through a few more screens asking the OS to find the problem and it will eventually come back and say I am not connected... Duh. Then finally I have the option to "Try these repairs as an administrator" which will reestablish the connection.

With previous OS I was able to simply go to the connection folder and either right click to connect or make a shortcut which made it real easy.

Sam
Not sure if this will help.
Right click the tray icon and choose "open network and sharing center".

On left side of window choose "change adaptor settings"

In the resulting window right click the adaptor in question.

You will have options to disable or disconnect the adaptor.

With the LAN (wired) adaptor you can choose disable.
Disable the adaptor and you effectively disconnect the connection.
You will now right click that adaptor again and choose "Create Shortcut".

This will create a shortcut on you desktop.
If the adaptor is disabled, simply clicking or double clicking (depending on whether you have single or double cicking enabled) on the shortcut will restore the connection.

If the connection is already established then activating the shortcut will simply show a status popup dialog box.

For the wireless connection, right clicking on the adaptor as above will offer both a disable and a connect/disconnect option. Clicking connect/disconnect will bring up a dialog box allowing you to change wi-fi networks.
Clicking disable effectively shuts down the connection.

Again create a shortcut to the adaptor by choosing "create shortcut" from the right click menu.

When the adaptor is disabled activating the shortcut will re-enable it and connect to you prefered access point.

If the connection is active then activating the shortcut will produce a status dialog box.

With my notebook if I want to turn the wi-fi on or off I have a switch located on the front of my computer.

Thank you for your question, this led to investigate and come up with the solution above.
I have created the shortcuts mentioned above and find them very useful (especially the wired shortcut).

The neat thing is that right clicking the new shortcuts allows you to toggle between enabled and disabled states.
Very handy indeed!

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was looking for was the link to click on to create a short cut to quickly reconnect.

Thank You!

Samantha

Your welcome, Samantha. Judging by your login name you must live in Nevada.
I live in Elko. Love Nevada. I'm a transplant fro the State of Maine.

Back